1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wanting to get started on a fish or 2

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cowtown guy, Feb 27, 2015.

1. So I would like to do some fish for family and myself. I was wondering what the best way to go about learning the airbrush techniques would be.

I haven't used an airbrush before and know that it isn't going to be easy. But hey, you gotta start somewhere right?

Would it be easiest to buy a replica and just give it a go?

I would appreciate any insight you guys could provide.

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yes, start on a replica.

As far as learning air brush techniques - dive right in and practice, practice, practice! AND, go with an easy airbrush to learn on - like a Paasche H/Single Action #3 tip. Or something comparable - if it's a double make sure you can set it like a single action when starting. Don't let anybody tell you that you need a high end detail air brush. You can always grab one of those later. But, many can paint very well with the cheap single action airbrush. If you go with anything else I fear you will get frustrated and quit like most have. You will spend more time cleaning and trying to isolate clogging issues with anything too tight. And from those of us that have been there, isolating clogging issues can be very difficult especially on higher end air brushes with those tight tips. With the Paasche #3 you can rest assured that IF it's clogging 99% of the time it's paint drying on the tip. USE RETARDER. I cannot emphasize this enough. You can start with food coloring practicing on paper to save on costly paint. Most air brushes come with instructions and read them! Good luck and have fun...

P.S. Alright all you cheapo airbrush-haters - let me have it - lol!
    P.S.S. Fyi, myself, DougP, Cecil (I think) all use the cheapos - decent (me) to great work can be accomplished with the cheapos!

3. I have both a single and dual. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.

4. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Marty pretty much nailed it as you have to walk b4 you run. Dont limit yourself in learning to "color" fish with just an airbrush. All kinds of mediums at your disposal you should be practicing with (pencils, powders, rub-ons, etc). Get a color wheel and keep it handy also as when knowing what one color over another will look like.....

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I agree with Marty, I am in the cheapo crowd as well. Once you feel you have mastered a single action, you'll realize that you can do just about everything you may be able to with a more expensive double action. I suggest starting with black and white photos of fish. Print off a bunch and have at it. Like Brian suggested, when painting fish don't limit yourself on what you use to restore color to them. Good luck and keep it fun.