1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to attach shed horns to a real deer skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by joelamping360, Mar 2, 2015.

1. joelamping360

joelamping360 Member

In my wanderings through the brush this weekend I found a really big old buck judging from the skull itself, teeth wear, rowin nose and the with of the horn pedicles themselves that had dropped it's antlers, my plan is to attach some nice sheds to it. What's your guys process on something like that.

2. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

I would find the center for the corresponding pedicle/ antler drill a hole to place a pin to hold antlers in the right spot while the glue or putty of your choice sets up.

You may want to grind the surfaces to make them more flush. Test fitting the joints so the angle is right is important before gluing. Also using a threaded metal rod as the pin will give the glue a better grip on the pin. If it's a big heavy rack you may want to create a jig to help support the antlers and hold the angle while the glue sets up

They have plenty of white/ off white epoxy putty that can be worked around and shaped to all but make the marriage invisible.

3. joelamping360

joelamping360 Member

Thanks for the advice, I tried finding a direction in the archives, and tutorials but only found stuff on attaching sheds to artificial skulls