1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tannery to tan Whitetail Capes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jbogacki76, Mar 2, 2015.

1. jbogacki76

jbogacki76 New Member

I'm done with the Wildlife Gallery, 2 capes wet tanned and two capes they didnt turn the ears, and 2 capes i had hair slip (capes were frozen after being cooled down and skinned out/ shipped next day air). I send them in frozen after I cape them out.

Can anyone else recommend a place to split, flesh and wet tan capes? I do this on the side so it saves me time and energy to send the capes in frozen after i cape them out.

2. butterbean

butterbean New Member

Micro-tan in Ill.

3. Srgrinder1

Srgrinder1 New Member

I do the same because I am part time as well. I send them to Old Barn in Iowa and have nothing but good things to say about them!

4. Dan Taylor

Dan Taylor Member

Micro-tan in Ill, sucks sent 8 hides 6 of them slipt .

5. butterbean

butterbean New Member

If you fallow the wash & tumble dry instructions you want have a problem. First few i sent when i started with them did to , my fault dont skip those steps and you willbe fine.

6. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

In 2012, I mounted over 60 whitetails, an elk, a corsican, a pronghorn and two otters tanned by Micro-Tan. Zero slippage !

7. millardtaxi

millardtaxi JOHN 3:3

Stick with gallery JMO

8. millardtaxi

Stick with gallery JMO

9. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

If you enjoy crappy, under-neutralized capes...and fumes that nauseate you....use Gallery.

I've had more bad capes from them, than good.

That, or hides that won't hold a stitch...huge extremes in quality batch to batch.

10. jk

jk Member

If you are talking about wildlife fur gallery in Ceres CA, I have used them for years and am very happy with them. They do most of my game head work as wet tans. Very few problems over the last 10 years. Great customer service as well.
    J

11. Also a par timer here but do my own tanning---My deer are back to the customer before most tanneries get hides back to their customers. And I am getting paid instead of spending.

12. millardtaxi

Been using gallery for years without issue

13. jbogacki76

jbogacki76 New Member

Thanks for all the reply's. I only do a handful of deer/boar a year, so quality is everything for me. If i send it out 100%, I expect to get it back 100%. I understand some cuts might happen and so on. I dont understand when i pay for a service - and i don't get the ears turned, and the face is barely fleshed down. I literally put the cape in and noticed hair falling out along the short Y (Left side of cut was bald) and on the brisket. So, i will take my business somewhere else. 2 deer in a row, youths first harvested deer too. They are my nephews and I feel horrible. If they don't make it drying i will need to get replacement capes.

14. jbogacki76

jbogacki76 New Member

Also, is it better to dry tan a cape to stop slippage? I have only asked for wet tanning for deer capes.