1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolverine Skull Sutures

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by akvz, Mar 2, 2015.

1. akvz

akvz New Member

Probably a stupid question-- do wolverines ever have visible sutures? Usually I go by how fused sutures are to tell age, but I have an 18 pound female wolverine... size (5.5") and perfect teeth would say that's a young one, but the only semi-visible suture on her is her nasals and the zygomatics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (and yes, the nasals are misaligned, leaving her with a crooked nose. She also has accessory infraorbital foramen on the left side, which is also a neat but fairly common pathology)

So now I'm assuming she's a mature adult... but I've also noticed my other 2 wolverines have fused sutures, and one is definitely old. I have 2 more in the process of cleaning but they are both huge males, likely older, so I imagine they'll be fused as well. However, I have several otter skulls that are about the same, so I don't know if it's a mustelid thing, a wolverine thing, or if I just happen to have had the luck to get several mature adult specimens with great teeth of a few species.

2. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

AKVZ - I looked at the 10 I have cleaned in my collection. None have suture marks to speak of. I would guess worn/broken teeth could be several variables from diet to trap damage. I have one that has absolutely no front teeth and the bone has closed up over the holes so it's very old damage, and some new damage that could be trap damage or normal life of a wolverine.

3. akvz

akvz New Member

Alright, good to know of-- perhaps she is a young one after all. Or maybe just a runt.

Most of my wolverines I have in have perfect teeth, or with very very minor wear, a small chip here and there. One wolverine is missing 3 incisors completely, either in the process of healing over or healed over already. The trapper said he was also missing a toe and a tail and a torn up face... sounds like it's pretty rough up there in Alaska sometimes.

4. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

That's how all of mine are