1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cow hide rugs

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by 3Maria3, Jul 1, 2007.

1. 3Maria3

3Maria3 New Member

USA
    What needs to be done to a cow hide so it can be used as a rug? I feed my dogs raw and someone is offering me the scraps from 2 steers (the steers aren't being slaughtered till December), since my dogs can't eat the hides I would like to make rugs out of them. I have never done anything like this before, I've only skinned a squrrrile. My father just told me to salt till it was competely dry, I did and it's a board. I don't care if its messy

Thanks
    Maria

2. RobinK

RobinK New Member

It hs to be rough fleshed big chunks of meat and fat salt dry send them to the tannerie i think its $12.00 a sqaure foot rugging is like any other animal skin except steer hides are thicker in most cases

3. Helicity

Helicity Squirrels – Natures Road Bumps

We had a problem with the cow hides we did there was alot of hair loss because cows are under alto of stress. A bull will have better fur then a cow and wont do it as much. You also have to make sure to wash those out really well because the hide on cows are just horrible (im a butcher and do this everyday btw we skin them and then throw the skins in a big rubber maid) The skins are then left outside in a shed for about 15 days before the guy comes to pick them up. By that time alot of hair is gogin to be icky and want to fall out. I hope you got a fresh hide and did something with it right away.

4. 3Maria3

3Maria3 New Member

USA
    I don't know if if has anthing to do with the thickness but when the steers are salughtered they will be 2 years old. If I have to send them to a tannery I'll just forget about it

5. 3Maria3

3Maria3 New Member

USA
    Helicity
    I haven't gotten the hides yet, when I do they will just be a day or two old. But I'm getting them during the winter after it snows so they will be kept cold

6. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    Unless you have a big set of shoulders and the right tools you are probably going to have to send them out. Don’t take me wrong it is possible for you to tan them your self, but there is a lot of labor involved. PM me we might be able to work a deal on tanning them for you.

7. 3Maria3

3Maria3 New Member

USA
    I'm completely willing to do anything I need to do in order to make them into rugs.. I'm really stout and I do have big shoulders but I'm 14 so any money that I make is mine and I don't want to waste it. I don't want to spend money that I don't have to so I'll eather to it my self or not at all.. I don't mean to sound snobby but thats just how I am ::) I just came here to ask how to tan them :-\

8. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

maria - you dont have the experience to follow through - send them out or throw them away - that is your two choices

9. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    You really have separate. PM me with you address so it is not posted on the net and I will send you a copy of some tanning instructions.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The hides will need to be thinned by hand or machine, if you leave them as they are and try to tan them, you will get surface tan, and the thick skin will not tan all the way through. It is a big job to thin cow hides even with a fleshing machine. If you did get it to tan all the way through, it would dry stiff as a board, and not be able to be rolled up and shook out. It has to be thinned when pickled, and that is when it is the heaviest to work with. If you are not practiced up weight lifting, it's a killer.

11. 3Maria3

3Maria3 New Member

USA
    You get experience by trying someting, so once I tan them I'll be experienced.

Mr.T I've helped my father out with allot of heavy stuff and I can carry my 200 pound friend with ease

12. I appreciate that you are stubborn and strong willed, but these folks are trying to help you out. Start with a deer hide first and then go to the cows. Geez! I tanned a cow hide a few years back and it darn near broke me, literally!!! Shave till you can't shave anymore and do it all over again several times. You are looking at one heck of alot of work but good luck! Pun intended!!

13. Wow,
    Maria do you have any pics of your arms? They have to be real guns! By chance are you related to Superpig?

14. 3Maria3

3Maria3 New Member

USA
    No, I don't have pics.. And I guess I am related to superpig, he was my grand father.. He ate himself into heart problems which is why he died. I don't know why I don't look as strong as I am, earlier I was helping dad move a 400 pound organ

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Maria, I didn't say that you were not strong, I told you that fleshing a pickled cow hide is hard work, sure you can pick it up, but can you pick it up with your arms stretched out in front of you, flipping it several times over and over for 4 or 5 hours? I highly encourage you to go ahead and tan it. Didn't say it couldn't be done. We are just telling you, to do it right and to get it thin enough to be flexable after the tan, it is going to take a ton of work. Go for it.

16. I am almost afraid to ask.... what has an organ that weighs 400 pounds? Are you working with a whale?

17. Helicity

Do you mean shave the hair off to make leather?....I do cow hides and they aren't that hard to flesh. He wants the fur still on so its just like an oversized deer or moose. After its skinned it still only fills a 35 gallon container.

18. 3Maria3

3Maria3 New Member

USA
    Haha David.. It's an elephant organ.

Not.. It was a musical . organ that was made in the 1800's

Helicity, I missed that part.. I do want to keep the fur, without it won't be much of a rug. I'm a She. BTW

19. Maria and Helicity, neither of you have a clue how to tan a hide. The skin side must be shaved thin to make the skin soft and for the tan to penetrate the skin. When you skin the cow look at how thick the skin is, it needs to be shaved to less than 1/8" to make it soft.

20. Helicity

I don't do most of the tanning aspect but have done it at work and i skin cows for a living at a butcher shop doing about 15 a week thank you. I may not like the method the tanner uses at our shop but he sends the hides to china where they will be made into purses. He dosent actually shave it off much and the machine does most of the work. I just helped my boss make a cow hide rug with the fur on last week.