1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wet cardboard hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by RICKP, Mar 3, 2015.

1. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Question, I have an antelope that was dry tanned (tan unknown, purchased from another party) and when I rehydrated it (salt water solution), the hide just pulls apart like wet cardboard. The hair seams solid but not the leather side.
    Any Ideas what would cause this or, can I save it?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No can save and sorry to hear this. Also nothing can be done at this point in time. One thing that one should always be careful of buying is a dry tan from unknown dealers. You have no idea on how long or old the cape was dry tanned.

Always buy from tanneries who will replace a cape if it does end up being bad or just buy wet tanned hides which can be frozen for ages and never have a problem, or shouldn't have one.

It sucks cause it's always buyer beware!

3. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

So Frank, You mean that a dry tan hide/cape over time will be un-rehydartable? (I just made that word up, cool huh)
    Reason I ask is because, I was thinking of dry tanning some animals to have for future mounts.

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Do me a favor if you would. If you have a pH strip handy please wet the hide, squeeze a bit of the water out of it and put the pH strip to it. Tell us what the pH reads..

5. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Sorry Cyclone, I don't have a strip. I don't do any tanning.

6. cyclone

Rats....I'm always interested in the pH of these type hides...High pH could indicate over-neutralization which would cause collagen to disintegrate. Low pH could indicate acid rot, not enough salt in the solution.. Just a hypothesis..

7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes Rick it's really a bad idea to buy dry tanned hides for future mounting. But and here's the but. You can dry tan a hide but it needs to be stored in the freezer. Over time oils will normally leak out along with having elasticity lose and then it becomes un-mountable.
    Any hide you want to mount needs to be stored properly, so I advise you to get wet tans and freeze them to you are ready.

8. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Thank fellas, Lesson learned today...

9. Lesson learned here as well. Thought they should last for ever! ... Question Cyclone or Frank?? At what range should the PH fall on an older dry tanned hide??

10. cyclone

Can't answer that exactly. It's going to depend on the tan and type of hide I'd guess.

11. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Dry tanned hides are usually having a shorter life span for rehydration and the best way is to keep them (yes the dry tanned hides) in the freezer. and they will last a lot longer..
    or rehydrate them and then freeze them.