1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Antlers - Rare? Almost touching tines, opinions, price worth?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by MiniaturePaws, Mar 3, 2015.

1. MiniaturePaws

MiniaturePaws Member

Not sure where to post this but I wanted some opinions on the rarity and price worth of these whitetail antlers I own. Bought them off someone who left the taxidermy a few years back and wanted to know what they would be worth and if they are indeed rare. I don't know too much about antlers. Scored at approximately 117 pts by a taxidermist. The front tines have a very small slit where they almost touch but don't.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wanting to hear some opinions and thoughts.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Their cool but not really worth much, makes a conversation piece. I have a customer mount that's almost done where the tips criss cross.

3. MiniaturePaws

MiniaturePaws Member

It certainly does! I haven't seen any that came close like these but I also haven't dealt with too many deer until recently. Criss cross sounds amazing. Would love to see those!

4. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Its somewhat uncommon, but definitely not rare. One likely cause is skull shrinkage, note how little skull remains between the antlers. To someone who like them, its worth a couple dollars, not so much to those who have seen it before. Maybe $25-$35...

5. MiniaturePaws

MiniaturePaws Member

There is definitely some shrinkage. I did have a fresh kill photo but I'm not sure I can find it now. Makes sense. Thanks!

6. verne

verne Well-Known Member

I think they would bring a good price on E-bay ; At least the ones i`ve seen got a lot of bids and a good price on whitetail antlers category . :D

7. A D S

A D S New Member

They would make an awesome jackalope!

8. KYWoodsman

KYWoodsman New Member

We have killed a couple like that on our farm. Let me know if they sell at a good price, because I would sure get rid of those "basket racks"!

9. Crousebow

Crousebow New Member

Here is one a buddy of mine took a few years back. They completely crossed. He was making rubs very low on trees, which had us confused until we figured out that he couldn't get his antlers around the tree.

[​IMG]