1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

European mount

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by tellis827, Mar 4, 2015.

1. tellis827

tellis827 Member

Can someone tell me the difference between a european mount and skull mount... If there is one. When I learned taxidermy in the late 80s early 90s I learned a european mount was where you cut the skull through the eye socket above the teeth and a skull mount was the whole skull.. Seems like now every bleached skull is called a european. Have I been wrong all this time??

2. joelamping360

joelamping360 Member

I'm not sure , your probably right seeing how a lot of those european, roe deer and stag and fallow deer skulls are cut and mounted on a slab of wood.

3. tellis827

tellis827 Member

I hear everyone talking about european mounts, and I see a entire skull, it always aggravates me because because I think they're wrong... But after all these years I wonder if i learned wrong..

4. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

A Euro skull in the US tends to be a full skull and in some cases including the lower jaw. The same skull in Europe is normally cut somewhere between above the eye socket and the top of the teeth.

Dosen't bother me what folks call it...I'll do either, as long as they are happy with the results.

5. tellis827

tellis827 Member

I too will do whatever they want, but when I ask if they want a euro or skull mount they look at me like I'm stupid.. I ask because I'd hate to cut a skull on someone's trophy because the meaning has changed over the last 25 years..

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm quite certain the accepted term these days is "European" , skull mount means the same thing. If you are worried about it don't cut them down. I'm glad that cut look hasn't caught on here, I don't care for it.

7. Let's set the record straight:

A European mount is a cut skull, meaning it's flat on the back, this can be just above the upper teeth or through the eye socket, no bottom jaw.

If no eye socket is present on a European mount then is considered a flat top or skull cap mount.

If the skull is just clean and no cutting is done then it's a skull mount, with or without bottom jaw, key word is cleaned only.

And Yes, a lot of people think the two are the same but there not, it's just like neck mount, head mount, shoulder mount, pedestal mount.....see what I mean.

Marshell

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Marshell , try a Google search on the term European mount and see how quick you find a cut skull, and you will see what I mean by accepted term.

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Marshell is correct. A true "European" style is cut flat above the teeth. Not as common in the USA as it is in the UK and Eastern Europe.

10. tellis827

tellis827 Member

Thanks Marshell.. At lest I know I'm not going crazy.... I get customers that start trying to use taxidermy terms and most of the time its wrong.. Like flushing the hide, I ask if they mean fleshing, and I get the " you're an idiot" look. Hate to correct them because they are paying my bills, but the customers are always right and I just want to make sure they want me to flush it..

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do they call it a European in Europe?

12. in Europe they call them skull mounts those that they cut to make flat, and those with teeth or just cleaned skulls they call "Western" go figure!

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The accepted term these days, in my region anyway, is European for a cleaned skull with or without bottom jaw. I had a guy recently refer to them as a Scandinavian mount.

14. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I've seen ''European'' mounts in Scotland cut flat on the back of skull to mount on a panel ,,probably thousands are in Germany as well [Roe deer ] They looked nice on an old dark almost black English oak panel in a great room