1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fin backing

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ryan L, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Ryan L

Ryan L New Member

Hi, I was hoping some of you could share what materials you use for a backing on fish fins and a coating over it. I have been using silk span and mod podge but they seem to get pretty brittle. I am looking for something a little more sturdy than that. Thank you, Ryan

2. I use that when needed but always use tuf-fin on all my fins. Strength and pliability.

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I use silk span and clear acrylic caulk thinned with water. They turn out pretty flexible. I also sometimes use flexifin.

4. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have started using straight Elmer's glue rather than mod podge. After doing some research mod podge is basically watered down glue. Lens tissues and elmer's works fine, don't use school glue unless youplan on removing the glue later.

5. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

lustre flex and nothing on the back side unless a repair was needed..........

6. dbronco

dbronco Member

X2 on Lustre Flex, I haven't found anything better yet. (But I'm still looking)

7. den007

den007 Active Member

Brian was kind enough to send me sample of the luster flex and it is by far the most pliable. However, any dried fin can cram if you bend it enough. I never did understand the concept of flexing fins……it can crack them, crack the paint, etc. There is a limit. On the other hand, some advocate rigid fins. The more I think about it, what is the advantage to flex fins. They should not be played with.

8. j.mik.

j.mik. Member

Den007- X2. Jigginjim- if you don't seal the fins first, won't they rehydrate somewhat? What about adhesion between the sealer and the Elmer's?

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

X2!
    I think all the coatings get brittle over time anyway. I know Tuf fin does. I use Elmer's Glue over fins sealed with lacquer thinner myself. I use as many local products as I can.

I can also paint a fsh the same day I apply the Elmer's glue. It dries very fast.

10. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Elmers glue here too

11. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Lustre flex dries quick too and I like the durability it has. You can heat the fin up when cured and get any shape you want too. As far as the flex, who cares when it's done only the "flex" in the Lustre flex means if someone jams or bumps a fin, it will absorb the shock by flexing some and not crack or break. Lustre flex does not, will not crack over time. I have used it for at least 4 years now and you could scrap ice off a windshield with them.
    Now, the other property I like about Lustre flex is the fin building area. You can get a much meatier fin to combat the shrinkage with just a couple of good coats (kinda like tuff fin on steroids). So, I guess to each his own. Lustre flex LOOKS expensive in the catalog but it will take quite some time to go through just one jar. Works for me and that's the standard I have to go by..........
    Glad you liked the sample Den. How's the colon holding up after that Mammoth sandwich...... ;D

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Brian,

I found out the hard way once that one should wait until the next day to paint a fin coated with lustreflex. But it's no big deal to wait a day of course.

Very good product though!

13. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No idea what happened but the coating cracked in a spider web pattern, which typically means it was't completely dry.

15. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Wow.....thats strange. I have never seen that in any of my applications. Had to be something on the fin before the coating? I dont know, just never have seen that and it does dry fast and smooth as a babys you know what.....

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Maybe I put it on too heavy?

Does it still cause cancer only in California? LOL

17. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Yeah.....what DOESNT cause cancer today.........just look at all the stupid medical commercials on the air.....ie:"clear up your skin" but...... it may cause headaches, vomiting, loss of hearing, diabetes, parkinsons, dizziness, difficulty swallowing, stroke, heart attack, liver damage, kidney failure, cancer and of course DEATH......lol.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yeah but who cares about cancer if you have clear skin as a teenager! LOL teenagers think they are invincible anyway!

The way it was phrased on many products as, "This product has been known to cause cancer in the state of Californis" always made me laugh as if it only would happen in California. What it should have said was, tests done in the state of Claifornia have shown this product will cause cancer.

The sad part is someone got paid for the poor phrasing when an 8 grade English student would have known better!

19. tarponfan

tarponfan Member

Can someone mention a supplier that carries Lustre Flex ? I'm having trouble finding it - Thanks.

20. dbronco

dbronco Member

Dan Rinehart (Taxidermy Arts Supply) is the only one I know who sells this product.