1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezer burn cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by buckrub10, Mar 6, 2015.

1. buckrub10

buckrub10 Well-Known Member

can you rehydrate in salt solutin

2. Shaun513

Shaun513 New Member

Yes

3. buckrub10

What mix and how long?

4. Shaun513

Shaun513 New Member

I don't do an exact measurement these days but I add about 3/4 cup for every gallon of water (Maybe a little less I just eyeball it). I also remember reading somewhere that stop-rot works also but I have never tried it and as for how long that depends on how bad it is. I try to let it soak for an hour then work the hide some while it is submerged and let it soak some more. Has this thing been fleshed, and or tanned?

5. buckrub10

not fleshed, but clean of meat

6. Shaun513

Shaun513 New Member

I just googled stop rot and rehydrating freezer burn and they say that ( STOP-ROT helps soften and rehydrate freezer burned skin.) That was on their website.

7. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

You can also add a relaxing agent to the salt brine to help spead things up without issue. I have used Relaxer from Vandykes for this adding some bacteriaside like skin prep nbu as well. Also I would try to get as much fleshing (meat removal) done as possible before starting the rehydration so there is minimal time between the soak & proceeding to the pickling process. As for time it's all going to depend on the severity of the freezer burn. Sometimes it may take an hour other times overnight.

8. buckrub10

tried stop rot didn't work so good

9. dbronco

dbronco Member

A strong salt solution is NOT the way to properly rehydrate a hide. Think of drinking salt water, a strong salt water will kill you very quickly by taking water from your cells so quickly the cells burst. It may seem that your freezer burned areas are rehydrating which is partially true; however, you are effectively DEhydrating the rest of the hide. Adding a small amount of salt may be okay but does not kill bacteria a significantly slows the rehydration process. Soak in water with a surfactant (relaxer) or just plain water.

10. Tahrhunter

Tahrhunter www.taxidermy.co.nz

RelaxR is the bomb, follow instructions will do the job.

11. Tahrhunter

Tahrhunter www.taxidermy.co.nz

RelaxR is the bomb, follow instructions will do the job.