1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The "First Rule" of fish taxidermy.....

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dougp, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Do your best in making the fish look like it's alive or simulating an attitude of life.

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. EA

EA Well-Known Member

#1 Rule--- get 50% deposit up front.

4. dougp

dougp Active Member

LOL! Marty you're right about JoshK. I wish he would come on here more often.

Timjo....you certainly rise to excellence in achieving what you posted. Beautiful representations!

EA....That IS a good rule.....but not what my friend and I decided was THE most important.

I think when I tell the answer that we concluded was the very FIRST rule in what we are attempting to achieve in our work you will agree that it at least has a lot of merit. In the very least it should prompt a lot of discussion about why it is or is not the most important.

I'd like to wait 'til tomorrow morning before telling what we decided as our answer to the question. Hopefully to get more input from others.

What do you think????????

5. bnoody

bnoody Member

I'll bite, its study your subject. The first and most important thing is to know your subject. How it moves, behaves, where it lives, the anatomy and its appearance at various stages of its life cycle. If you really learn your subject, all else in taxidermy will follow. If you don't really know and understand your animal, you will struggle to achieve the results your after.

6. dougp

dougp Active Member

Good one Brian....I agree that is VERY important........buuut....at least, not what we concluded.

I'm really interested in what you will think when I/we tell our answer......

Anybody else .......????

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

First rule...always make sure the mounted fish is larger than the dead one. On fish, size matters, everything else is secondary.

8. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Get paid WELL by DOING well

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

There are no rules!

That rings a bell. If that's right then I probably heard it somewhere and most likely when training with you 17 years ago - lol!

P.S. I like Joey's answer!

10. hambone

hambone Active Member

Make sure you understand what the customer wants and do your best to satisfy them without compromising your standards.

11. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

IN my opinion its presentation.

12. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Speaking as a commercial Taxidermist only I think the #1 thing is to make a profit. So much of what has been said matters but in the end if you can not make a living at it your just spinning your wheels.
    I don't imagine that's the answer being searched for though.

13. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Well.....I can tell you Doug, whats most important to ME in "achieving my goals" still is the anatomy piece. I take a step back and think about your question again and, in my small hobbyist world, the most important area to me personally is the pride I feel when see what I've accomplished and the satisfaction I get when a customer absolutely loves what I've done. If I ever lose that desire to give give someone a little piece of me in their fish, then it loses some meaning.
    So, the answer is personal satisfaction (the love of the game) for yourself and your customer in sharing the gift you have..........that you've stopped the hands of time in preservation of the moment, the fish, and the recipient to enjoy for years to come......

14. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

The first rule is use 2 eyes.....

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I think I got a better "first" rule. Skin the fish and mount it before painting it.

16. roonie

roonie Member

why did this not get finished by DougP? What is the answer DougP

17. I'll second the bump. A thoroughly entertaining read...with a disappointing ending.....or lack thereof.

Inquiring minds want to know!

18. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

It's wear PPE.

19. Dangit...that was my second guess.

20. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

A happy customer who will bring you more work and sends his friends. Everything else means nothing if you don't have that. JL