1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The "First Rule" of fish taxidermy.....

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dougp, Mar 6, 2015.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Unless you're dead from not wearing PPE. Then, customers happy or not do not matter - lol!

Trick question. IMO wearing PPE is a given but also a good reminder for those that are living on the edge...

2. dougp

dougp Active Member

Sheesh! I apologize for not following up on this question.
    It's been a long time but I remember most of the discussion I had with my friend and our conclusion.

So.....JL actually pretty much nailed it. My friend and I finally agreed that the first rule is to recognize and accomplish the needs and expectations of our clients, or if in competition, the judges.

If we can rise to those expectations and fulfill the requirements of those clients and judges we will have accomplished the goal THEY had required for them to be pleased.

Simple in concept, maybe. Much more difficult in execution at times.

I hope your not disappointed with the conclusion. My friend and I and JL, it seems, think it's a winner. Do you disagree?

Sorry for not finishing this sooner.... :-\

DougP

3. roonie

roonie Member

so very true Dougp. So many time i go get something done at a shop (not taxi) and they did not listen to a damn thing i said right from the getgo. The company or person seems to get lost in their own doings or ideas and forgot completely what the customer wanted in the first place.

4. X2 What BrianW said.

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Fishart...I never wear gloves or as you call PPE. Been cruising like that for 65 years in the business and still kicking at ripe old age of 80. Hope you make it as long...lol JL

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

JL - I know lots of people who smoke cigs like a chimney and have lived into their 90's, but maybe they could have made it to 110! ;)

I didn't even know what PPE meant until I saw it in this thread and had to Google it. Again, IMO like the Grainger commercial, safety is a given in my mind and shouldn't be at the top of this list. One's health always trumps everything else so it should be a given like eating, drinking H2O and paying taxes - lol!

Perceptions are the biggest thing in ALL businesses IMO. Perceptions are reality and a good impression leads to customers and repeat customers (and everything else). That's why understanding marketing AND understanding your impression by your potential customers is critical. AND, why so many fail at business...

7. I would tweak the first rule to:

"The first rule is to recognize and accomplish the needs and expectations of ourselves."

Happy customers anf impressed judges could be goals under that.

In my opinion, unhappy customers are the result of a business owner not setting their expectations, as they should. Don't let the tail wag the dog. It's your job as a business owner to tell them how you do business and what is expected from them as a customer and what they can expect from you.

8. Can you be more specific and list some examples?

I.E. you brought in a fish that you wanted done angling up and going right with an open mouth and when you came to pick it up it was going left and down closed mouth. Or a pheasant you wanting flying was done standing.

I've decided I'm going to start doing taxidermy again soon professionally, part time on the side for starters. I'll be writing up a word doc listing all the guidelines for how I do business given to every customer and gone over quickly and signed and dated by them before taking their work, accepting their deposit, and stapling a copy of it to their receipt. I'll also have it on my website to be printed off and signed in the event their animal is being shipped or they're not dropping it off.

One thing that will be listed is the basis for the relationship; them commissioning me to do a mount of their specimen and creating a piece of wildlife art. They can choose to give me full artistic freedom or their own rough concept allowing taxidermist discretion to adjust slightly in order to enhance the piece based off the qualities of the specimen.

It's a fancy way of saying,

Even if I nail it and do the best one I've ever done...it's not going to look exactly like what you see in your head. I can't see what you're mentally picturing just like you can't do taxidermy.

9. dougp

dougp Active Member

Actually Matt...that was in our original discussion and rejected as an all encompassing "rule". For example, in competition, it matters more to accomplish the needs and expectations of the judges rather than our own expectations in order to "win". We can also lose a customer or two if we neglect the needs and wants of a prospective client in order to please only ourselves.

There's nothing wrong with your premise if that makes you happy. We just felt that approach was not broad enough to be a general "first rule".
    Just our opinion. Thanks for adding your thoughts.

10. bowhuntr

bowhuntr Member

I have always felt that the first rule of any type of mount is to treat it as though it was your own mount going on the wall and transfer that pride into the workmanship that you turn out for your customer.

11. Less is more! Rule number one!