1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mysterious Cat Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by nuclearjunky, Mar 6, 2015.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

if it came from the UK its a bodmin moor beast

2. AH7

AH7 New Member

I don't know where this idea of grooved canines came from. I have jaguars with grooved canines and leopards without them, and lots of variation in between.

Does anyone have a citation for a paper or book that talks about this distinction?

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I was quoting a site listed by fish and game for their officials to be able to identify certain skulls. But I do not know where they got their information from.

4. akvz

akvz New Member

http://www.fws.gov/lab/idnotes/IDG7_CatSkulls.pdf is the paper cited.

It doesn't actually say that jaguars cannot have a grooved tooth, just that it is faint/not as prominent on some species. An exceptionally old individual of any of the "ungrooved" canines would most likely have more prominent grooves, and a younger cat of any species would have less prominent grooves, as they deepen/stain with age and tartar build up.

Even then... I have 5 bobcat skulls, a geriatric female, 2 nice mature males, a nice mature female, and a subadult male... and the subadult male has pretty prominent grooves, the mature female has very faint grooves, the two mature males are in between the two, the geriatric female has very stained teeth but the groove is not as pronounced. Then, looking at domestic cats, my geriatric male cat has a very grooved tooth, my geriatric female does not, etc... kittens don't have a grooved tooth, though obviously this skull is not of any kitten... I'd be interested to know if diet has something to do with it, or if it's simply an individual development.

Your skull looks like a leopard, even according to this guide. It also seems to have an accessory infraorbital foramen on the left... I always think that's a cool thing to find in a skull, it's a relatively minor and common deformity but it's one of those cool things to find once the flesh is removed.

5. I was gonna say, I have grooved teeth in MANY of my skulls and they are a sign of aging, not species lol.

6. akvz

akvz New Member

Not entirely true; some species do NOT have grooved teeth and the enamel will not allow for the tooth to develop a groove like on cats. A good example is a wolverine or a hyena, as the enamel lays differently on the tooth. I wouldn't say that a grooved tooth would be a major identifier in most skulls, though, because the level of damage can vary on an individual basis. There's also several bones in the skull that can be looked at to identify a skull even without teeth... as they can be the wrong teeth, switched uppers and lowers, malformed, chipped, etc... but the skull itself will tell no lies. A good example is a bobcat vs. lynx skull... the lynx has a narrower presphenoid bone, the infraorbital foramen is at a different angle... regardless of if the teeth are grooved or not.