1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

nose repair for remount question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by D.Nichols, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Hi, I am going to attempt to remount a personal deer that I mounted in 2013 that I was never happy with. After the mount dried, the entire mounting stand and mount tipped over and the mount landed directly on the nose, cracking the hide across the nose pad and another 2" crack on the snout.

I have since soaked down the entire mount in a trash can, removed the cape from the form, removed all of the hide paste using my fleshing machine and I have a new form and it's ready to remount. What is the best way to repair the cracks that are across the nose pad and the snout? I'll add pics later today after the cape is thawed out. I feel like the hair on the snout is too short to sew it together, would super glue be a better option after it's mounted?

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I use pro 1 hide paste and insect pins on repairs like that. The nose pad is a piece of cake. Your favorite apoxie sculpt, and rebuild with modge podge as usual.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

use a hidden stitch on short hair areas. I use it on African, early season deer and around facial areas. 8 pound fireline with 1 inch needle

4. Thanks for the tips. I figured the nose area would be pretty easy to hide after the finish work. Here's a couple pics of the damage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Just mount it and do what Jared said should be fine.