1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Photo backdrops. . . .need information.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Michelle_Nelson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Where does everyone get there Backdrops for taking Photo's of there Mounts? What kind of fabric? Lighting? Thanks. Looking at getting a couple.

2. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Someone did a tutorial a few years back on making them. I believe they sell them on ebay also I just can't remember what the correct name is to look it up. My thoughts tell me that they have a middle eastern name to them. I'm sure someone on here knows the proper name.

3. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,60694.0.html
    Ralph

4. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I bought "muslin" online.. that's ehat they are called I believe.

5. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Cowboy studio

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Some of the light blue and white backdrops make for the best for mount pictures as our home page photos Ken post on here., dark color's work well also giving the mount a "standout" look. The photographer I know uses large rolls of heavy paper for backdrops, rolls back into tube when done.

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I got some muslin ones online. They were pretty cheap and worked well.

8. Use a white background
    www.digitalcameraworld.com/.../blurry-pictures-how-to-lose-your-focus.

9. Michelle_Nelson

What does everyone use for lighting?

10. Ebay has light and back drop packages pretty cheap:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-Studio-Photography-Kit-W-3-Light-Bulb-Lighting-Muslin-3-Backdrop-Stand-Set-/361129372091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5414fce9bb

11. Michelle_Nelson

I got out of doing Ebay a while ago and it has changed a lot. I just don't do Ebay.

Is there anywhere else you guys have gotten your backdrops like Cowboy Studios?

12. cessna

cessna New Member

[​IMG]
    If it helps this is what I use for life-size and heads.
    Muslin backround
    Head or animal always 2-3 feet in front of backround
    One light with umbrella on the right at eye level, aimed at face about 3-4 feet away.
    One light high and off to the left with umbrella highlighting the sides and a little of the back.
    Center-weighted metering, giving correct exposure to the animal and let the backround go dark.
    F/stop around f/5.6 or f/7.1 at ISO of 100
    Shutter speed will be slow so use self-timer or remote release.
    Also the picture mode you use is important (I use Canon Landscape mode for saturated colors and detail)
    Any of these settings and ideas are personal, whatever works for you is fine. These work for me. I hope this helps.

13. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    I guess you missed my post above.

14. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Ebay has lots of backdrops depending on what color or pattern you like, but I'm sure you can find them other places online too, just do a google search for photo backdrops. I went to a local photo store and bought very good lighting, since that's so important for taking good photos! I wouldn't skimp in that area if you want your pictures to come out nice. Can't recall exactly what I got but I can go look when I'm at my shop if you really want to know.

15. I got my backdrops from Silverlake. Lights are 2 Alien Bees B400 strobes with umbrellas and a Speedlite 430ex. I can post a pic of my picture taking space if that will help.

16. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Try Amazon..

Tom

17. huntingful

huntingful Prairie Ghost Artistry LLC

Following, thanks

18. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Codi I would love to see your setup. Please post the picture and thanks in advance

Barr

19. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I would also like to see the set up codi. ....I am currently using continuous lighting but I'm not very happy with it.