1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alternatives to hide paste?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GrayFox, Jul 2, 2007.

1. GrayFox

GrayFox New Member

Hide paste seems rather pricey for what it is, so I wondered what, if any, other kinds of adhesives can be used instead of hide paste. I read somewhere that fabric glue or fabric stiffener can be used. Is this true? If so I do have some fabric stiffener (which is basically the same as fabric glue, except that it stiffens the fabric as it dries) Thanksfor any help I can get.

2. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

there was a post not too long ago about hide paste, and someone told how they mixed their own... Hidepaste seems expensive, but I figure I do about 20 deer heads with a gallon, so if you break that down, it only cost a couple of dollars per head. I think it is worth the extra to know you are using a proven material to work with someone's trophy.

3. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

You can get recipes using yellow dextrine. I purchase Buckeye Supreme. I wouldn't think of trying to get a cheaper alternative that would most likely be less effective.

4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I figure that Buckeye Supreme, which is good stuff, costs no more that $4 per deer head.
    I can't be bothered with mixing for that price.

5. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

buckeye supreme latex glue

latex glue , at wal-mart ( DAP caulking ) colour ( translucent or clear ) same thing , aprox $1.30 per tube , dries clear , use it for fin baking cream as well

6. I have heard of people using white lightning from the hardware store. I wont cut that corner. My customers want detail and i dont wanna risk some cheap glue messing me up.

7. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Latex caulk from Wal Mart will work fine if the hide is thinned properly and fits the mannikin. I use it quite often, but I am not for sure if is all that cost effective either. You can get a 4 pack for a little under $4.00. I typically use a tube and a half on a deer head. That is about $1.50 a head. I am also a Buckeye Hide Paste Supreme fan. I buy it 5 gallons at a time, but I not for sure what that breakdowns to per head. Either will work fine. I haven't had much luck with detrine glues. Good Luck.

8. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Try this;
    1/2 gallon hot water(boil it)
    10 lbs WHITE dextrine(VanDykes has it)
    1 Gal. Elmer's white glue

Mix most, but not all of the dextrine in the water, it'll be pretty thick. Add the Elmer's until you reach the consistency of peanut butter. You may over do it so you can finish adding the rest of the dextrine to stiffen it up a bit. You won't be able to tell that it's not Derma Grip! It makes two gallons for about $25 depending on how much it costs to get the dextrine shipped to you.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

AUplantman is right on, I use buckeye supreme, and do atleast 20 deer to a gallon with no problems. The breakdown is a few dollars to a deer, which is well worth it considering the performance of this product.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. My glue is free. Is now, always has been. You see, I simply bill that cost into what I charge to mount a deer. You guys sound like a dime propping up a nickle. Quit being so damned cheap and buy the glue and then quit being so damned cheap and CHARGE ACCORDINGLY.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Vegetable oil is also OIL, but you don't run it in your car in place of Penzoil. A tarp on your roof will keep the rain out, but you don't use it in the place of shingles. 1x4's will also frame a wall, but you don'y use it in place of 2x4's.

Get my point???

12. livbucks

How about eyes George? Could a guy sculpt his own eyes from Apoxie and paint them? Then put a coat of clear varnish on them? Sure beats plunking down big money for those darned manufactured eyes that look so lifelike, wouldn't you say? I think that some people are just closet Amish folk at heart, Haha.
    Personally, I prefer to do all my work in total darkness. The cost to burn those lightbulbs is really taking a bite out of the budget. If I dig down far enough in my backyard, I could mine my own clay and never have to buy any ever again.
    I have switched to using fishbones for pins. Saves money, it does.
    Just funnin' ya guys. Take it easy now.

Nothing wrong with finding an alternative to paste, if you were in a bind and needed something to get you through. To make a wholesale switch to a lesser quality alternative, to save a dollar while working more hours, is not productive in my world.

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

20 heads out of a gallon? I'm lucky to get 15 and most of my deer are small, in the 17" range.

hmmm, fishbones, livbucks? Never thought of that. LMAO.

14. livbucks

Sure Becky, They save me double because if I need a toothpick, I just pull one out of a mount and pick away, shove it back in the mount when the teeth are clean.

15. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

LMAO

16. you should have these cost in your prices. Hide paste is made for taxidermy. My customers pay for quality. I wont cut corners on my work. I dont find hide paste is that big a cost when you consider what tanning chemicals cost. Am I to start using household items to tan my hides. See where I am going with this. All summed up....it costs money to do what we do....you just need to make sure you are charging accordingly.

17. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    I am probably going to get hammered her, but here is my take on things. When I first started doing taxidermy, I was amazed at all the specialty products available to the taxidermist through a variety of interesting taxidermy related names. As I grew in this profession, I soon figured out many of the "taxidermy specialty" items were available locally under their "typical" name. The price of these items wasn't as marked up and I didn't have to pay UPS or FedEx to deliver them. This is not the only thread where I have seen taxidermist swearing by "taxidermy specialty" items. I am sure 80% of the "taxidermy specialty" hide paste out there, have another purposes and you can find them locally. So, if you can figure all the "specialty items" out and there actual purpose, why be opposed to purchasing them locally to help out your business profits and community. Many items, I have never figured out, and Buckeye Hide Paste Supreme is one of them. I have used tons of different "taxidermy specialty" glues and most of them don't equal up to the holding power of plan ol' Wal-Mart latex caulk. Buckeye works best for me, but I am not afraid to use caulk as a hide paste, and it certainly doesn't offend me if I don't purchase it from one of the taxidermy supply houses. They can go buy it at Wal-Mart or I can do the foot work myself. I don't believe you are cheating your customers by purchasing your products locally verse buying the same product through a taxidermy supply company. Now, I am sure I will be accused of not supporting my suppliers, but I must support my business first. I am very appreciative of what all suppliers do for this industry, but I just can't see paying 100% mark-up and freight on borax and denatured alcohol.

18. Oh i agree. if i can find it locally i will use it, because items are way cheaper locally, but the same product. If its denatured alcohol you buy...then you buy the same denatured alcohol locally. But to try caulk and kids glue for hide paste is a different story.

19. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Agree to disagree, Bubba. It will work, try it sometime. You will not cheat your customers.

20. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Bargain hunters & do it yourselfers make me scream. They are the same ones that want a deer mount foe $400. less than I charge. Think of that next time you are making hi fibre out of oatmeal & screaming about tight-wad custimers at the same time.