1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alternatives to hide paste?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GrayFox, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm with Kenneth on this one, I too have used latex caulk as hide paste and the only drawback I have found is that if you ever need to remove the hide once it dries it's a bear. IT'S STUCK! I use Buckeye as well and it is a great product too. As for George's comment about passing the cost on to his customers...duh. As a business owner that is my job when setting pricing, but if I am able to later find ways to increase my profit margin while not sacrificing quality, I do. I would be doing myself a dis-service to not seek out the most cost effective way to produce a top quality mount in the shortest amount of time. I love the business, but I am in it to make a living.

2. wildwood

wildwood New Member

Why half crack it? Is it not worth doing right? Stick with what you know works. Saving 30 cents per deer head, and not knowing if it will stick is crazy. If you are going to "test" things, make sure it's yours, and not a piece a customer is paying for, and trusts you with!

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cole, actually, the DUH is more towards your rrationale than you admit. Whether I'm useing Epo-Grip Water Base, Buckeye Supreme, or a carpet glue, I'm going to use the BEST. I know how caulk is made and I know how caulk works. It has fillers I don't elect to have under my hides and I learned long ago that prices most often relfect the quality of the product. If the cheap stuff was just as good, then the high priced stuff would be off the market. If you're looking to increase your profit margin on the costs of your hide adhesive, then there's a much bigger problem. I'm surprised some of you haven't gone back to the old skull and 2x4 wrapped in excelsior. Just think how much you'd save by not buying commercial manikins that are being marked up 100% by the suppliers. (BTW, 40% is the standard markup in all reputable businesses, but only after they buy their supplies at a 40% markdown. If they have to buy an item at face market value, then you'll likely pay 140% for the supplier conveniencing you by carrying it.)

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

"Duh" was in response to the statement "My glue is free. Is now, always has been. You see, I simply bill that cost into what I charge to mount a deer." I was merely pointing out that most, if not all of us consider the cost of supplies when setting pricing. I do not rely on hide paste savings to boost profit margins, but I do save money anywhere I can, which may mean using less expensive products to achieve the same results, or it may mean buying my supplies from a cheaper supplier. Those few dollars here and there add up at the end of the year, despite what you might think. Unlike you I don't know how caulk is made, but I do know that it works VERY well as a hide adhesive and after years and years of use I have found no ill effects. Perhaps you can enlighten us in what exactly makes this product inferior to your "carpet glue"? By the way, if I could produce the same quality mount with a skull an 2x4, AND if it were cost effective for me to do so, then I would be at the lumber store in the AM loading the pickup with more studs.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL Good point Cole. BTW, the only reason I know how caulk is made is that I watch "How It's Made" on The Learning Channel.

6. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    George, if you mounted on the same mannikin I did today, then a skull and 2 x 4's may have looked pretty good. I spent 2 hours altering a whitetail mannikin just to make the anatomy look like a whitetail. It had the face of a yearling buck and the shoulders of a horse. This must have been the form Rick Carter wrote about in Breakthrough a while back. I think, I paid around $45 bucks for this wonderful master piece. My customer, saw the mannikin in a picture and just had to have it. Oh, I did use Buckeye Hide Paste Supreme to mount the deer. And, as you recommended, it was tanned with John Rhinehart's Creme tan. You know, I tried carpet glue once, and hated it. To be very honest here, while we are throwing stones, glue is not my main concern when recreating an animal in my shop. Studying your specimens and reference may be the most beneficial part that you can control. An accurately done mount will have a lot more meaning to your customer that the type of adhesive you use.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

well said

8. Geno

Geno New Member

Gotta say thanks again folks.Just when I thought I had it figured out.Now got to get rid of the Dap I tried{I was to slow before set up}and 5 gallons of paste that doesn't set up before next season.Thinking of sewing the darn hide to the form.You gotta take on can that be a alternate to save money?LOL now I'm really depressed.

9. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

Cole, actually, the DUH is more towards your rationale than you admit. Whether I'm using Epo-Grip Water Base, Buckeye Supreme, or a carpet glue, I'm going to use the BEST. I know how caulk is made and I know how caulk works. It has fillers I don't elect to have under my hides and I learned long ago that prices most often reflect the quality of the product. If the cheap stuff was just as good, then the high priced stuff would be off the market. If you're looking to increase your profit margin on the costs of your hide adhesive, then there's a much bigger problem. I'm surprised some of you haven't gone back to the old skull and 2x4 wrapped in excelsior. Just think how much you'd save by not buying commercial manikins that are being marked up 100% by the suppliers. (BTW, 40% is the standard markup in all reputable businesses, but only after they buy their supplies at a 40% markdown. If they have to buy an item at face market value, then you'll likely pay 140% for the supplier conveniencing you by carrying it.)

Good point George , but DAP caulking is a latex glue , and I am a retired Glaser as well , with many years of experience with caulking and silicone on commercial jobs.

Listen guys use what you want to use , , like George said , tile glue will work , but it is more expensive.
    It cost me $1.89 for DAP at Wal-mart , but so what , the price is incorporated in the price.
    Like George said , try doing a deer with original skull, and excelsior neck, and see what everyone complains about, LABOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes me about 3/4 of a tube per deer and it does not drum. big deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. wildwv

wildwv New Member

Hey everyone, being new to this forum seems to keep me from posting on alot of threads that I really have some knowledge on, however this one is a must. I to once only used specialty taxi products for the trade and payed high dollar for them as well as shipping. After looking in a catalog for a new ear adhesive I found a product I wanted to try, $11.00 a tube plus shipping.Well at the time I was a novice and it took quite some time to use up this tube but when it was finally used up, guess what I found? While removing this tube from my gun it was stuck so pulling on it, it slipped out of the brands sleeve and it was an ordinary tube of Red Devil acrylic siliconized caulk. So now I get it at my local hardware store along with alot of other things for my shop and no shipping charge.

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I put a new vinyl floor in my kitchen. I had to buy a big tub (gallon) of floor adhesive but only used a quart at most. Are you saying that I could just use it for hide paste? Looks similar to Buckeye but smells a bit stronger to me. I think there may be some differences in tackiness and drying time. It is Mannington brand V-130 full spread vinyl floor adhesive. I can tell you that it was NOT cheap, so it would be no alternative to Buckeye. I would only be using up surplus material.

12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Ok, update.....
    I looked at the two. Buckeye Supreme and Mannington floor adhesive. Don't even try it. The Buckeye dries like a rock and sticks to the plastic pail. The Mannington adhesive dries like a wad of gum and doesn't stick to the plastic pail. The two are totally different like I suspected. I'll stick with proven products. Lucky for me I am sloppy and there was a mess on the outside of both containers to easily compare the cured product of both.

13. Like I said hide paste was made for a reason. Hide paste is not the biggest cost us taxidermist have. I rely on my hide paste for details, and my customers come to me because of my detail work. I wont short cut in that area. I buy 5 gallons of it and when it runs out I buy more. But that 5 gallon bucket had been well paid for by the time I hit the bottom.