1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mini fleshing blade

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by drwalleye, Mar 10, 2015.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I have a mini flesher I been using for a few years and I've done maybe 30 deer. how do I know when I need to replace the blade? it still seems OK. the finished product is rough not like a big fleshing wheel but I think that's how its always been. I heard someone say you want them somewhat dull or it cuts through very easy.

2. The teeth can almost be gone and it will be fine. The duller the better actually. Sharp teeth actually grab too much and chances increase of tearing a hole. Thats why you barely want any teeth past the guard. I'm barely! I've been using the original blade for several years and I do about 30 deer a year.

3. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Same blade for well over 15 years and have done more capes than I want to count.

4. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

thanks guys. maybe that's why when I started out 3 years ago I cut more holes. and I thought I was just getting better lol

5. Just FYI when I do get a new blade I run it against a metal pipe to knock some of the sharpness out of the teeth! In other words. I dont like new blades!!!! Lol!

6. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I am thinking about trying to make a homemade mini flesher. Video on youtube is pretty convincing. Can someone tell me the diameter of the blade and center shaft size?

I am guessing it's a 3" or 4" blade.

I can get an air cutoff saw at northern tool for $20. Order a blade and have one piece made and I should be able to make one for less and $75 or so.

Hell of a lot cheaper than what they are sold for. Worth a try. Appreciate if you can provide the info on the blade.

Dan

7. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Let us know how this works out.
    I promise I won't laugh TOO much.

8. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Mark,
    If you would be kind enough to take a few measurements for me (from previous post) I would be happy to share the experience with all. One of the two of us will be laughing for sure. I waste $50 to $75 or you overspent for what you have. Not a big deal to me either way.

9. Michael Bunker

Michael Bunker Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The blade is a jewlers saw blade, install it on cut off tool backwards so saw teeth run backwards. Got blade from machinist supply catalog. I made one 30 years ago, still works. 8)
    Built my own fleshing machine also, fleshed 3 deer hides this week with it, neither tool has guards......................dont need no stinking guards. :)
    Posted pics a few years ago on how to build fleshing machine, got so many stupid interuptions trying to post pics and comments were rude so I deleted it !

10. billale

billale New Member

I have a Compressed air flesh-all hand held machine, compressor not good enough to run it, could anyone tell me if I could use the head end and make it into an electric one, possibly using a flexy drive type rig out? Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

11. jeff c

jeff c Member

ny
    I made my own. Bought the blade from Mckenzie for 24 bucks and air cut off tool from tractor supply for another 24 bucks Bought 2 large washers and sandwiched the blade between the two and put it on the tool. Works great and saved $175