1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fix it scuplt question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Logan Loeffelholz, Mar 10, 2015.

1. When using fix it for antler repair, do u seal the fix it sculpt before applying the stain? Im trying the wipe on wipe off stain and ill put a light wash on it and when I go to wipe off some color and tone it down it wipes off everything. Just seems like its to slick to accept the stain.

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

My guess is too much water

3. Let the stain dry a little first then wipe it off to the desired tint. I do not seal it until I reach the tint or color that I am looking for then hit it with a flat clear finish.

4. Olaus

Olaus Member

After the Fix-it cures hit it with some 220 grit wet/dry sand paper and the paint/stain will adhere better.

5. Thanks for the input. Alright, I lightly sanded it down and used less water which helped quite a bit. But it still seemed to come right off when I went to do a light wipe on it. Even after I let it sit and dry. Still seemed really slick for some reason. I made it work and it turned out good but it just seemed like the fix it didn't want to accept the stain. It was a really dark mule deer rack which maybe made it seem like the thin washes weren't doing as much as they really were.

Is there a different repair putty that accepts stains better or do I just suck at staining?

6. JerseyJays

did you spray a base coat sealer prior to applying paint?
    I've been where you are. Get 2 colors down and apply the 3rd wash and it peels off the first 2. Really aggrivating.

7. No I didn't jerseyjays. Is that the step im missing here? Cause what u said is exactly what was happening to me.

8. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Anything you fix an antler with is not going to accept paint or stain like a real antler. The fix is not porous like an antler, it takes a lot of trial and error.

9. Cajun Dan

Cajun Dan New Member

If it's a significant repair, I spray the entire antler with bass belly white and stain the whole thing.

10. JerseyJays

I don't know... I don't usually base seal either and same happens to me... I just use less water, let it dry longer between coats and don't rub as much and it helps

11. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    I use oil paints and don't have any issues

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

I don't seal anything until I'm done with my coloring, but I use acrylics thinned down to create washes.