1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Caulking of Birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RichMO, Mar 11, 2015.

1. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

I have been with three WTC masters and they either use none at all or very little (head only at the time I was with them). With this said it would be nice to hear what others are doing.

Some caulk the head area only
    Thru the eyes
    Thru the mouth

Some caulk the wings
    Before stitching up into the wings flight web
    into areas at the elbow

Some caulk the tail section
    Cutting a hole for the caulk
    Thru the vent hole

Some caulk the wing pockets

Some caulk the breast feathers.

As you can see I've tried to show various places of where I've seen caulk applied. For my self I caulk in the head area thru the eye sockets. I also caulk in the flight web areas as well as the tail. I usually don't caulk at all on a standing duck at the wings but then again I leave my humerus bone to maintain proper anatomy (this is the way I was taught so for me I'll stick with it).

2. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I caulk the tail slot ,the flight web ,on flying mounts and wing butts occasionally the neck ,and head.This is for duck size birds . Turkeys are a whole different game.I have tried the caulking syringes it's a one time use for me .Wrapped sealed up completely airtight and it still sets up in the tube and mini caulk gun. But they're tough to beat when and where you need them. By the way no where near a master!!LOL

3. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

for ducks I remove the secondary feathers from the bone and caulk the whole wing bone area.
    I also caulk the tail slot.
    I use Alex fast setting painters caulk but I have birds that v I caulk ed 3 weeks ago and I can still squeeze the caulk like it is wet. I wonder if the skin is so at tight it has nothing to dry it out?
    I put it in a warmer room so I hope that helps.

4. maj1969

maj1969 New Member

MO
    Great topic!
    I caulk head and neck, flight webs and secondary butts if detached. Also wing butt and tail slot. Sometimes under the scaps too. Have had good results and I do a lot less carding, sometimes none depending on pose. Just started using caulk for waterfowl in the last year or so. I use latex on ducks but silicone for turkeys, have always caulked turkeys and just recently started with silicone. Much faster.

I would like to know if anybody uses silicone for ducks, thinking of trying it.

Also what people use for syringes, I have a hard time getting it flow.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Something I just discovered but probably everyone else knows already is how to remove caulk from feathers. I tried it just the other day when it was first on the feathers and on some days later that was dry. Windex! Couldn't believe how well it worked. I'm working on a Little Leucistic GW Teal hen and she has a white head so didn't realize there was some dried near the eye. Sprayed it and using a pin gently it just crumbled up.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

no caulk on any birds with the exception of seating large tails ...and then I prefer bondo........think of bird mounting as flower arranging....use cotton batting under skin to get loft......caulk can do its own thing as it dries and you have no control

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I've also seen a dryer sheet put between skin and body.
    No caulk on Turkeys?

8. byrdman

nope.....in the past before freeze dry and fake heads we used to mount the real heads and used linoleum paste which is similar to caulk....but only use caulk for base work nowadays..and for deer heads.....no caulk anywhere near anything with feathers

9. mimes

mimes New Member

I use caulk thru eye holes when the head skin in "ballooning" on the artificial head. Caulk in flight web on flying ducks. Most of the time about 6 medium shots along body kinda as a hide paste. Hey, I have seen one world champion do exactly as I just said, and another not use a single drop. To each his own.

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Tail, little on the head and sometimes scaps and neck. As byrdman said, I use more cotton to add bulk or loft, if you will, where it is needed.

11. maj1969

maj1969 New Member

MO
    Just to be clear I don't use caulk to fill out. If I need to add more loft or fill I use cotton and a little caulk to hold it all secure.
    If you put in enough that it sags or moves on it's own your over doing it

12. Doug B

Doug B Member

The whole wing and tails.

I Stay clear of the head myself, tried it twice and it turned into a mess. LOL

13. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Byrdman - caulk on deer heads, can you expand on this?

14. byrdman

latex or alex caulk makes excellent hide paste.....

15. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Never used caulk on birds and probably never will.

16. Silicone for turkeys, caulk in the head of certain ducks, woodies, merganser, etc. Cotton or batting for loft.

I know a couple guys who use caulk as hide paste on deer. It's how I was taught. I switched to Romans but if I'm in a pickle caulk works too.

17. No caulk anywhere. Don't like it.

18. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I use caulk sparingly under the major feather tracts and around the head and neck. In flying mounts I use it in the wing webs to prevent drumming.
    It's always in a thin layer as a form of hide paste, not a filler.

19. dablaw

dablaw Member

never EVER have used any type of caulk on ANY bird including turkeys..I have my own things ive found that work and caulk is for windows and doors, not birds...

20. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I wonder, if we could go back in time and take a survey, if there would have been a similar difference of opinion between the deer taxidermists who used hide paste to hold their capes to those (modern!) paper forms, and those who used lots of small nails and saw no reason to change.
    I guess we'll never know, because taxidermists were so secretive back then, but I strongly suspect that it would have been the case.

Drumming probably wasn't much of an issue to anybody until taxidermy competitions became better known.

ace777 likes this.