1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Caulking of Birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RichMO, Mar 11, 2015.

1. I agree with Dale as well. I used to use a lot of caulking for unions, throats etc. Caulk does not solve or stop shrinkage. I began using other materials that set and glued things down BEFORE the skin dried. Caulk sets AFTER the skin has already dried and shrunk. I also replaced the cotton with chopped excelsior. Its more controllable/easier to shape from the outside where cotton is not.

2. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

I caulk my wings as quite a few have said,squeezing the excess towards the body.i also caulk on either side of the head as far down as i can reach and work that around with my fingers as well.cotton batting for the jowls,crop,side pockets,etc...

3. vmax

vmax Member

Mr. Vernelson......what products are you using in lieu of caulk?

I live in a very dry warm climate where I have a very difficult time keeping my skins from drying out before they are mounted.....Mr. Potato chip skin shows up way too soon...LOL

I don't rely on caulk as a filler. My anatomy is all properly built via magic sculpt and toe....I use the caulk to just hold things in place while it drys

Thanks

4. I use a liquid epoxy thickened to a paste now. I started with envirotex thickened to a paste for a long time. Anything that sets by chemical reaction rather than needing to lose moisture. Just keep your skins misted with water to eliminate "Potato chip" birds.

5. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Can someone please clarify these terms for the new guy (me):

"Drumming" Edit-- Just figured out what this term means - It refers to empty areas under the skin where the skin is stretched over that void area and basically creates a drum....

"Balloon Head" (I think I know what that is but I want to see what you guys really mean)

6. clschake

clschake New Member

bummed no one answered....

7. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

About NOT using cotton ? Cotton is thick and isn't very pliable once inserted into the skin. Synthetic materials like FiberFil are "fluffier" and once the bird is positioned it can be still be manipulated somewhat.

8. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

A lot of opinions and good answers. I know everyone has THEIR way . But let me ask you this.....

If your using cotton or synthetic filler .... WHY? Is your body not the correct size or proportion ?

I First make sure the body is correct. Head to toe. Wrap your drumsticks ( I dont on commercial work), build up your humorous , radius & ulna, neck gets 1 and 1/2 piece of foam in the appropriate size for shape and to contour the head attachment. Any build up happens before the skin goes on. And I also cover builds ups with vet wrap( you can shape it like drying caulk).

Then every feather tract gets a little caulk as a hide paste, as you sew it up , or after with a syringe and straw. Then you just have to put the feather tracts back where they belong. Your wheeled , stretched skin kind of shrinks back to the body and is held in place by your paste (caulk). By the second day your feathers are mostly set but can still be managed if need be. Im NOT using it as a filler with one exception.... I like to use it to over fill my Pheasant wattles and shape them as they dry.

Shot holes have to be sewn... or I use Dale's Bird paste, it doesn't make a mess if it gets on the feathers.

Just my 2 bits

9. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I use it in the crop area for a nice neck/body transition. Some people wrap their necks but I opt for "my" way. :)

10. clschake

clschake New Member

Good tips thanks for sharing your ways.