1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Time to dump the Square and Intuit Readers! (At least for me!)

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by FishArt, Mar 11, 2015.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Square's Email I just rec'd:

There's no getting around it—chargebacks can be a headache. The good news? When you sell with Square, we take care of the process and make sure you're covered.
    Square now protects you from chargebacks that are $250 or less, up to a total of $250 a month. Which means if there's ever a payment dispute, all we'll need from you is some basic information. That's about it. Nothing out of pocket and more peace of mind.
    So what exactly is a chargeback? A chargeback, or payment dispute, is created when a customer asks his or her card issuer to reverse a charge. From that point, the card issuer contacts Square for proof that the payment is valid. Square collects information from you, then responds to the dispute. If the chargeback is eligible for protection, you'll be covered no matter how it's resolved.

Learn more
    -------------------------------------------------------

At least NOT FOR ME! This is just stinkin Paypal now!!! I don't need anybody to settle a "dispute" for me! $10 bucks EACH email you send to resolve. It's a scam! I've only had one issue through my 15+ years in this business when some jerk filed a chargeback w/o even calling me. It was 6 weeks after I already rec'd the guys blank. After a few emails I realized what was going on here! Heck, Paypal might even be in kahoots with their filers - lol! Same way AV companies create viruses - lol!

I know most HAVE to use Paypal to do EBAY and get the most bang for your buck. So I understand why some use it. But now I have to look into CC readers. I think that's my only option? I KNOW there's probably archives. But, technology changes so quickly and I'm swamped. Can anybody help me? I'll check back later b/c I know I've helped a lot here and now I need help!

Thanks for at least looking though if you cannot help me and you too are getting to the age where technology seems to moving faster and faster, and we seem to be moving slower and slower lol. :(

2. I know when I left my cc processor they had a huge fee for chargebacks too!

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Marty I use pay pal for all my online business, And I use an Ipad with a card reader and I don't have any issues

4. Square worse than sucks.
    Had a man pickup his deer head the third week in August. All was fine he was happy.

Move forward 60 days, I am in Florida, Square notifies me of a dispute. Now I am at Key West FL. 1400 miles from the shop.
    Square says I have 8 hours to send them a copy of the receipt. I tried calling no answer, I sent email after email that I was in Key West Fl.

Well square does the chargeback $285.00 I had called the bank and told them not to allow it. Bank said nothing we can do about it.

I have lost money with square and ask and ask to speak to someone and nothing not any help. So simply screw them, If some one ask to pay with a card I send them to the ATM.
    HAnd them a letter and tell them to complain to Square.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

For the first time, I feel good about my credit card company. At least I can talk to a real person immediately when I call them. I have slammed First Data more than once here. They are SamsClub credit card company for small merchants.

6. FishArt

Thanks guys - it sounds like all have pluses and minuses. 1 chargeback in 10 years (time period total of accepting CC's thru Paypal/Square now) Really not a big deal when you look at the big picture. But, enough to sting (I know how you feel John - helpless b/c you can't talk to a real person). The answer might just be it's going to happen every so often and you deal with it when it comes. Cost of doing business.

John, did your customer complain to you about something before the chargeback? Sounds like just a sneaky wus file like the di%k I had? 8 hours to resolve, that's good to know. I guess I should have read all that fine print - lol! I'm guessing since you were out of town you couldn't get to your books to get his phone number? Did you ever call him back after vacation and try to resolve the dispute? Does Square charge you $10 bucks an email to argue your case?

I prefer personal checks actually b/c I've never had a problem. Out of state you just do the half+ down deposit of course and full payment 2+ weeks prior to shipping. That's clear up front at time of order. In State here check clears in a day or two. This system for me has had a 100% track record. Of course credit cards are a necessary evil for many people. But, I tell them I prefer checks if they can. Even if it's $100 bucks a month. And I might even tell them I'll knock off 3% that I save by not paying the fees for credit cards.

Sounds like I need the "more" section on the recent Square email. And, my contract!

7. dablaw

dablaw Member

I said this about square a few years ago that they were not the cats meow like everyone thought it was..I have a cc processor in my shop... a company out of nashville tn and they are all hunters and sportsman and are top notch...

8. kjdouble

kjdouble Member

Fish art , I too received the same email, as I use Square. Unless I'm reading the email wrong and the extra information provided, it is giving the seller protection from chargebacks up to 250 dollars a month for free without a hold being placed on our money. Also if you lose the dispute Square will cover it as long as it qualifies under the terms of the chargeback protection. What did you read that makes you want to dump the company?

KJ

9. FishArt

Thank you for all your help guys - I'm sorry, I didn't mean to blow you guys off but I got side-tracked. Been very busy. And, I have to scoot again so please keep adding good info and I'll revisit this thread as soon as I can - but thank you!

Marty

10. I have First Data and I havent ever had an issue with them. I set it up through my back because they gave me a lower per transaction interest rate. I think it like 2% or something like that. The money is in my account usually within a day of the transaction and the payment to first data comes out once a month. Its the first cc reader/program I have ever had and it works well for me. Also you can create a list of commonly charged items so that it is quicker for the customer when it comes to check out.

11. FishArt

Thanks! 2% sound slow, but I will look into!

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Marty, if you go with First Data, read your contract multiple times, carefully. I cannot complain about their service, but I will tell you that if you lease a machine from them and sign a 3 year contract with them for processing that the machine lease is for 4 years leaving you with a buyout at the end of your processing contract. They seemed to throw in extra charges at times for PCI crap or just changed when and what they withdrew for.

13. FishArt

That's some great advice 3Bears! I'll print this thread up and probably ask my wife to take on this task (hee-hee-hee). She does have much more patience for reading all of that fine print, lol ;)

14. That is good to know 3bears. I dont have a machine from them I just have a thing that plugs into my iPhone.

15. I use payment alliance international for my ammunition business and PayPal's card reader for taxidermy. Never had an issue with either.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app