1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

long time listener, First Deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by woodsbaby, Mar 12, 2015.

1. woodsbaby

woodsbaby New Member

Been a member for years and have done a few squirrels. But always wishing to do up a deer untill my wonderful boyfriend bought me just about everything I needed to start as a Christmas present! Unfortunately our bucks were shot and checked in to our taxidermist (who is retireing after this year) in November. So we decided on his doe for first project because she has a special story to her.

boyfriend shot her on some private land that borders up to the Chesapeake Bay. In his usual style he got down from tree and started tracking too early. He bumps her and watches her run over the edge of a 60+ foot sandy cliff onto the beach and into the frigid waters of the Chesapeake Bay and dies 30 yards off shore. He calls me and I tell him to stay out of the water will I can contact landowner and I scramble down tree. He had to sit on a log on the beach and watch his doe float on a outgoing tide for 20 mins while the landowner and I scramble down to the beach. We get to watch as he stripes down and fetches doe who is now 50 some yards offshore. While dragging her out the 60 some year old , 110 lb woman landowner wants to help drag. Big active duty navy Boyfriend tries to decline but I'm her coworker and I know her well... muhhahahah... I turn over my leg to drag and she drags that doe so hard and fast that she knocks boyfriend down and drags doe right over top of him . We are still finding sand.

Anyways got her mounted up and drying. was going to post pictures up a few days ago but when I looked at the pictures on computer I noticed the eye shape was off so I fixed them... Although I can still see a need to work on eye shape and symmetry a bit more. While fleshing and turning blew the edges out of the ears like nobody business. I went back and fourth with sewing with invisible thread and using the superglue and dryer sheet method. I can see everywhere on the ear edges a repair was done. Had problems with cowlicks showing up and talking to our taxidermist (who is helping me learn) he told me to card spot for a bit to tame them.

I accidentally ordered a wall pedestal so that was a fun surprise. but I did a search here and was able to figure it out. for finish work I'm going to put sand from the Chesapeake bay on exposed part.

Annoying problems I'm not sure what to do about:

1....I got a little aggressive with carving out nose and made the middle too thin and then while packing nose with plastic I punched right through it and now the doe can wear a nose ring. How do I fix that?

2.... used the forward ear liners with butts and put a ring of clay around base to attach to form but while drying the skin uplifted the clay and tucked under ear-butts. its not noticeable with her long coat but I know its there.... How can I stop that in future?

3... strange pelt patterns? what is that line that goes down her shoulder? a drag mark? I tried adjusting and brushing but it won't go away... On her neck in the white patch to right the hair sticks out more than rest in a two quarter size patch. won't budge with moving skin around or grooming

Anyways any critique and advise would be helpful... next up is a friends buck and I tore the hell out of its ears too. not so much the edges this time as it had so many scars and just wouldn't come apart from cartilage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

For a first mount that's very good. You must have been paying attention to other critiques because a lot of the big issues you clearly paid attention to. You even took good pictures. I'd just say keep going, pay attention to details like shaping the ear butts better, etc., but you have the basic big picture.

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Very nice for your first!

1.Don't worry about the nose. When you are doing your finish work, use a modeling tool on both sides and rebuild the septum with your chosen apoxie putty.

2. Not a fan of liners with butts. Use the separate butts and liners. Butts attach with a screw before the cape goes on. Much better detail.

3. Looks like a mark...fence, horn, who knows. Not sure I see what your worried about in the white, but deer have cowlicks just like people. Could be that?

You learned a great tool with the camera. I always catch mistakes on pics I miss in person!

Work over the top edge on it's left ear more. Right one is nice.

Work on the more subtle details on the side profile of the eyeset on your next. Compare the pictures you took with good reference pics and make note of the differences. Try to incorporate these on your next one. (Great eye work for your first!)

You are off to a great start! Have fun!

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Very nice for your first!

1.Don't worry about the nose. When you are doing your finish work, use a modeling tool on both sides and rebuild the septum with your chosen apoxie putty.

2. Not a fan of liners with butts. Use the separate butts and liners. Butts attach with a screw before the cape goes on. Much better detail.

3. Looks like a mark...fence, horn, who knows. Not sure I see what your worried about in the white, but deer have cowlicks just like people. Could be that?

You learned a great tool with the camera. I always catch mistakes on pics I miss in person!

Work over the top edge on it's left ear more. Right one is nice.

Work on the more subtle details on the side profile of the eyeset on your next. Compare the pictures you took with good reference pics and make note of the differences. Try to incorporate these on your next one. (Great eye work for your first!)

You are off to a great start! Have fun!

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

overall you did a great job ...it looks better than you might think....do a good finishing job on it and you will have a nice first deer...did you use a tanned cape or dry preserve....try and get into the habit of using a tanned cape if not....as you mentioned, tweak and pay attention to eyes, tear ducts, ears and nose on your mounts and you should be fine

6. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

Very nice

7. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Nice job. Best of luck and keep improving.