1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

remove oiil

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by wildcat2, Mar 12, 2015.

1. wildcat2

wildcat2 New Member

so my dad home tanned a few coon and possum hides. they didnt come out too bad (not sure of his method) and he asked me to make hats. no problem hats arent too hard........ but when i got the hides from him i realized he used neatsfoot oil on them after he tanned them. how do i get the oil smell out of them? i have them rolled up with paper towels inside them trying to draw out what i can.

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I do not recommend using neats foot oil on fur skins, neats foot oil is for conditioning heavy leather products like saddles and harness leather stuff like that for water protection this type of oil is not sol. The only way to get the smell out is to remove the oil with solvents if possible then lube the fur skins with the proper tanning oil. Good luck!

3. wildcat2

wildcat2 New Member

what kind of solvent?

4. Try lacquer thinner

5. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I like "Twinrivers" idea! Get some hardwood sawdust, and put it in a black plastic garbage bag. Add some Lacquer Thinner until its damp - not soupy. Then mix it up by bouncing the bag and Lacquer Thinner. Now place the hides in it and bounce them for 5-10 minutes. Then take them out - shake out the bulk of the sawdust - and if needed - blow dry them! BUT do it all outdoors! They should now be nice and clean - and as a rule the smell will be gone too! Don't prolong the degreasing - remove the skins after 5-10 minutes.

And Muscle20 is right - get some good Tanning Oil from one of the Suppliers on here if you want to reoil the skins afterwards!