1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Slipping fox ears!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by OHDave, Mar 15, 2015.

1. OHDave

OHDave Member

Okay, so why do my red Fox ears keep slipping? I try to keep them as dry as possible as much as possible, and wear vinyl gloves when skinning to avoid heat transfer from my hands. They seem fine until after I pickle and neutralize the hide--then I start losing hair on the backsides of the ears and some on the outer, pigmented layer inside the ears. I keep my pickling bath at about 1 ph. Is there a tanning method that minimizes the chance of this problem? The good thing is I've gotten pretty good at fixing them with ears from tanned fox faces--but it's getting a little old.

2. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    I've had this happen on coyotes as well. I actually hit the ears first. Dry off excess with a paper towel or put a small amount of borax just to soak up the moisture. I put salt in the ear opening, then stuff a small amount of cotton in inner ear to absorb any excess moisture while working. If excess slippage, I use some stop rot then hustle through the animal and get it in Krowtann instead of pickle.

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I see a lot of people having issues with canine ears. I have never had one slip and don't do anything special to them. When I'm thawing them, I will cover the ears/feet with bath towels while the body thaws. How long are you taking to prep them, and what's the condition when they are dropped off? It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. How long are you leaving in the pickle. I don't leave them any longer than 24hrs, they are really thin skin and it doesn't take that long to completely pickle.

4. OHDave

OHDave Member

Thanks all.
    Matt: I leave fox in the pickle 2 to 3 days--taking them out once or twice to shave the face down a bit. Maybe I'm leaving them in the pickle too long...

5. Doug B

Doug B Well-Known Member

I leave mine in the pickle 3 days then flesh again then back in the pickle for 1 more day.
    Never hadany slip. I just tanned 2 reds and a coyote this week
    The pickle will stop bacteria that causes slipping, fox ears cant take alot of working when skinning.
    Are you salting the hides and ears before the pickle?

Try soaking the ears in denatured alcohol before skinning .

6. OHDave

OHDave Member

Doug: Yes, I salt and dry the hides. Later, I rehydrate and then pickle.

7. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

I have found, as you are splitting the ears before salting, I spray the inside and the outside of the ears with isopropal alcohol, even spraying the face down, as you split and turn. This is when the hide is at it's most vulnerable to bacteria, and heat from your hands can advance the bacteria growth. You may have a problem BEFORE you are putting it into the pickle bath. The alcohol kills the bacteria as you are working on the face and ears. I have never had a slipping problem with ears or facial hair on a cape since I have been doing this. Just a suggestion.

Ryan m likes this.
  8. Matt

Matt Active Member

You should be able to rehydrate in the pickle. That's what I do with mine, no step in between to rehydrate. That's a good idea NJ, a lot of guys use stop rot as well. I haven't tried that yet, but hear it's a great product.

9. Doug B

Doug B Well-Known Member

Are your animals fresh or are you thawing them out?
    If you are thawing them out try thawing in a pickle bath, the last few animals I defrosted this way(Learned about it here)skinned very easy and the ears turned with little effort. After skinning and fleshing they went back in the bath and then tanned.
    I tried the pickle because I was worried about the ears.

10. OHDave

OHDave Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone---I'm sure it will prove helpful!!

11. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

You may want to try an Aluminum sulphate pickle. It will set the hair

12. The way to go.

13. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I can't speak highly enough of Stop Rot. I used to have problems with canine ears until I used it and never a problem since.

14. Thank goodness you said this, Sea Wolf. I've got a couple foxes in the freezer...they will be my first so I have no clue if the ears are slipped, but I nearly drowned them in Stop Rot, so this makes me feel better. LOL

15. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have had hides from animals with a green belly and even those didn't slip. Glen was a great guy and his product is amazing stuff.

16. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

X2 Have not had a problem with slippage on furbearers since I have started using Stop Rot during the skinning process.