1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Completed Mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jessbailey223, Mar 15, 2015.

1. I just started taxidermy classes at the end of January and completed my first mount a little over a week ago. It's not perfect by any means but I am pretty pumped about what I learned so I decided to be brave and share a picture. I find something very satisfying in taking an animal apart and putting it back together.

I do welcome constructive criticism and/or tips.

Attached Files:

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Jess, Congratulations on getting your first one mounted! !!!! You are very brave to put up your first and I commend you for it. It's your first, so yeah there are some things that could improve. After you get all your feedback, you need to write down everything you like and don't like about your bird...then pick ONE THING to improve on next time. Once you get that down pat...pick something else and get that down.

You will get better with every bird if you just keep at it!

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

very good advice ,start picking apart your birds ,head,feet ,wings ,sewing grooming do these parts as a ''separate'' mount .That way you'll concentrate on one thing at a time it'll take a little while longer to complete a bird but in the end they'll come together overall better. It is brave to post a picture shoot it bothers me I have a friend do it because I can't figure it out yet.Your mount looks good and clean THAT is a big plus ,grooming of the neck and the bending of the wings in the right place will GREATLY improve the looks .

4. FORTMEEKS

FORTMEEKS New Member

Awesome job Jess from the other Jess ;D

5. Something about the wings has been bugging my husband (LOL) and me and I just haven't figured it out. Even after looking at a lot of pictures. Do you have any recommendations?

I really appreciate the advice from both folks so far! I'm hoping to finish a sitting mount in class tonight. I will put some of this into practice.

Thanks Jess!!

6. jots

jots Member

Awesome job indeed from yet another Jess!

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

The wings are set to far back and you need to put a little bend in the wings, the scaps need to be pulled forward towards and up on the shoulders. The bird appears to be a little long in the body

You should be proud of what you have achieved, also most would not put thier first bird on taxi.net. Kudos for you keep it up each bird will get better. Where are you taking classes if you don't mind me asking?

8. kyle916

kyle916 New Member

when I put up my first few mounts I felt like people tore it apart. But, I learned and took some good advice. For a first bird its good! someone said here said it best- learn something new every time! focus on one thing at a time.