1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to fix a rotten smell in the hide after mounted?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by cfritz7707, Mar 15, 2015.

1. cfritz7707

cfritz7707 New Member

I'm still new to taxidermy and only mounted deer. I have a buddy that just got his elk back from another taxidermist and he said he can smell a slight rot smell. The mount looks great and no hair seems to be slipping. What can I do to help a friend out?

2. cfritz7707

cfritz7707 New Member

Will the mount ruin? I've never had this problem with any deer but I didn't mount this so I don't know how it was mounted. I do know this taxidermist is a great taxidermist

3. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    I have ran into this same problem with elk. Most likely the taxidermist dry preserved the hide with borax after fleshing. That is how I do my hides. For this same reason is why I went to tanning larger animals such as elk, stags, etc... and denatured alcohol for all small mamals like bobcats and coyotes. If I had to guess the smell is probably in the brisket area. There is a membrane there that is hard to get off and if you don't then the animal will smell rotten with no hair slipage. This area is easy to miss because it appears to be fleshed and it is really not. The animal is not hurt. If you can hang the animal over a direct heat source like a heater and get some good heat on the area that smells along with some febreez or some type of odor elimator and give it 2 or 3 weeks it will proabably be fine. Don't leave the heat on the animal the whole time, you want to heat it up for about and hour or 2 and let it rest for a while and repeat for a few weeks. The smell should eventually leave. Hope this helps.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

There should not be any rot smell on any mount. Something is wrong, elk can have very thick skin and if not shaved down and just dry preserved, eh, who knows except the guy who mounted it. If its not slipping now, it won't, but if it still smells after some time, the fly's will find it.

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

If that were true then the mount should not smell as such...Take it back and ask questions...

6. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Is it actually a rot smell ? or is it a rutting bull smell ? If its a dp hide its not right but understandable to be rut smell.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Last year I had a bull elk professionally tanned. When it was ready to mount, it still had a bit of rut smell on his brisket. You could not mistake that for rot. You can't fix this smell until you find out what is causing it and why.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have never had one come back from a reputable tannery and it smell slightly rotten. Your friend needs to take it back to this great taxidermist and let him explain. I would also ask him how the hide was tanned, if it even is.

9. cfritz7707

cfritz7707 New Member

Thanks for all the comments it really helps me out when people with more experience actually respond when someone needs advice. Thanks again for all the comments and help guys

10. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Maybe it's not the hide maybe there is some flesh/meat left around the antlers. Put your nose up to it and see if you can identify the exact area

11. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Both the mount and the taxidermist suck if it has a rotten smell.

12. He he don't hold back Rick let it out! Lol! 100% right though

13. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Nice comment Rick...Lmao!

14. I have had Elk capes go to the tanners, come back looking gorgeous and smelling good, but when they are soaked up they have a slight rot smell. not a rut smell but rotten smell. Once I mounted them and they dried out the smell is gone. Yes They went to a reputable tanner and they were dry tanned.