1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question to those who use mini fleshers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by sergeant133, Mar 16, 2015.

1. In the past and recently some have complained about how messy using a Flesh All mini flesher can be. I've never understood this because I've never had this problem. Some have talked about the direction of the teeth. I thould could be but not after today. Here's my question to those who have a problem with meat/membrane etc. being thrown everywhere. Are you left handed?

I use my right hand and the blade turns toward my body. I have very little being thrown onto the apron I wear because of direction of rotation. However by turning the mini around and using it in the left hand would cause everything to go away from the body if I'm seeing this correctly. So lets see if I'm close or not.

2. I have one that I've used over the past couple years, I do find it throws flesh around but it seems like only if the flesh is very saturated. I've watched your video and the flesh looks very dry. When I pull mine from the pickle I spin it in an old washer and then try and towel it off the best I can and that works better. I'm right handed. I have an Eager Beaver that Ive been using lately and I can get the hide much thinner with it.

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I'm right handed and when I used to use a flesh-all, it would sling chunks everywhere. I fleshed green hides and used it again to shave during the pickle process. The fleshing of green capes was the messier. I can't remember which direction it spun, whether toward me or away from me. Sometimes it would get gummed up with long pieces of tissue, and I would use a bucket of water to clean it. I didn't let my hide dry out at all before fleshing it. I'm not sure if this is what made a difference or not.

4. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

I use one quite a bit & have very few issues with it slinging a lot of messy chunks. I attribute this to having a nice clean hide or cape before I start shaving with it. I have used it on wet & dryer skins or capes with no measurable difference. I am right handed & basically what is discharged from the tool goes to the left. I understand some people are using them to basically flesh the skin of meat & membrane & can understand how it might create a mess if used in that way. I use an air model & think a lot of people don't understand that adjusting the spead or psi of the air supply along with adjusting the cutting depth can help you, when dealing with different skin thicknesses, in not cutting holes or slinging a mess everywhere. A lot of folks greatly under estimate what this tool can actually do if used to its full capabilities. I've seen some pretty impressive videos of what skilled folks can do with it. I have used mine to flesh/shave animals from squirrels up to elk & cattle & feel like I can thin them just as well as I can with my big fleshing machine. Just not as quickly.

5. Mine throws a lot of material to my left. I simply make sure the debris shield is adjusted properly ( so it won't throw it up) and hang an old towel to my left. Problem solved.

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

its all in the way you hold your tong. ;)

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well you already know my opinion. You can't paint a third and its still a POS. I'm right handed. I wore a face shield and rubber apron when I used it. Not only did it sling crap everywhere, pieces of dimes and gristle would get under the guard and eventually stop the rotation. Removing the guard to clean that crap out meant another goatrope of readjustment the guard depth. The only way to run It ended up with me buying a 5HP compressor with a 40 gallon tank. After figuring out the time and money I used to keep the POS working, I bought a Dakota and GAVE the POS to another guy "who couldn't afford a real flesher". Best move I ever made and I don't have to clean the walls and windows any more.

8. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm a lefty and it slings meat all over. I hang a tarp in front of me to catch most of the chunks.

9. George

Sergeant, I'm sorry but as a mechanic I learned there's nothing to beat using the right tool for the right job. You remark you've received PM's but if it was truly that great, did you ever wonder why only YOU openly tout the greatness of this thing? I admire the dedication it must have taken to learn how to do the things you are satisfied doing with it, but for a rank beginner, it's still a "fill in" for the real tools that work better. Don't listen to me if you think I'm the only person out there who thinks this is a POS. Ask guys like Rick Carter, Bill Yox, Frank Kotula, Jim Marsico, Dennis Harris, and anyone else who on top of this game. Your defense is much like the guy on here who went to great lengths (he made a video too) to espouse the greatness of using a standard grinding wheel to flesh deer. Hell, the far fetched idea of using a weed eater MIGHT work- if someone committed the time to perfect it. I just refuse to endorse that thing to beginners who need to spend time learning TAXIDERMY instead of how to put windshield wipers on a cat's ass. I CAN do anything and everything you do with my big machine, but I won't. I flesh the muzzle with a scalpel so I don't clip off whisker roots and I don't split eyes because I remove the oil glands under the eyelashes and use the tuck method. I don't need it in the ear butts because I remove all the cartilage, including that butt with my hands and a scalpel. I spent a serious chunk of my like helping beginners and attempting to teach them professional methods. Using a die grinder with a jury rig attachment doesn't fit that bill for me and you'll just have to expect me to be a troll when you start trying to convince them to buy it.

10. YES I am left handed,but that does not make a difference when I use my DAKOTA.Stop picking on us left handed people after all we are in our right mines

11. tem

tem Well-Known Member

or left ;D

12. litefeather

litefeather New Member

Sold mine. I didnt have the Compressor to keep it running for which it needed. I used after the pickle though. Never on a green cape. I couldn't imagine the mess. I had to hang a sheet to my left to keep the wall from small debris from being caked with it. I just hand flesh now which takes me no time. My Dakota does the shaving. Best investment I ever made for shop and quality.

13. George

Well, I guess my feelings are exactly the same about you and your expertise on this thing. I don't CARE what your question was. Actually, why should it matter. If you found enough information to reach a conclusion, what would it be? Left handed people make bigger messes than right handed people. PLEASE. No matter which hand is pulling the tool, the excess is going to go out ONE SIDE ONLY. I've used die grinders for longer than you've been breathing. When you use them as they're designed, they cast one helluva lot of metal particles. We were required to wear face shields and heavy gloves (no one ever argued why after they'd used it one time). Some genius, trying to "save money" likely "borrowed" one from work and jury rigged it to form a makeshift shaver. I bought one of the first ones to hit the market back in the early 1990's. I used it for about 5 years and then I gave it to someone on the old forum boards for the cost of shipping. I would never suggest that a beginner start out with a fleshing beam and a necker knife if he could afford some sort of machine designed to do the job correctly. Your argument is just as silly as the guy who swore by using the grinder. Sure, you COULD learn how to use it I suppose, but why SHOULD he if the concept is flawed. I really don't CARE how many people PM you, they can PM me or they can just put on here that I'm a prick. Words don't bother me, but as I said in another post, I'm damned protective of beginners and when I feel they're being handed a bunch of crap, I'm going to state it. That guy is still using the grinder to do things I "can't do with a round knife". You're welcome to do the same thing, I'm just going to tell people if their time is valuable, they want to best invest their money, then they should use equipment where the learning curve is much shorter and the industry standard got that way for a reason.