1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pectoral fin painting??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by meopilite, Mar 16, 2015.

1. meopilite

meopilite New Member

MN
    With a lot of fish I've seen, the pectoral fin is transparent. Especially panfish. How can I paint the fins, on a replica, to look natural? Specifically a sunfish?

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Use clear fins and lightly paint them?

3. meopilite

meopilite New Member

MN
    simple enough..... perhaps lacquer paint would look better then waterbase? I'm using waterbase paint, but it isnt looking very good at all.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thin washes. They have color but remain transparent, so don't spray with a solid color.

5. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

3 Bears and Cecil have it.....clear fins with very little trans paint (that is unless you're Dave Campbell who can take a solid white fin and make it look transparent).....

Attached Files:

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

naw their not, it's refraction that causes it when it's out of water. You will see just about all the fins ( mainly pec and pelvics) when it's sun laden or even in water on a certain turn. In reality they are opaque in color. As I was told by Mike Otherber study fish in water and you will see this. They have some many colors in them when you do this. Just a thought for those who think transparency is the way to go.

7. Brian W

I dont agree as I see bluegill pec fins as wispy thin and transparent or translucent........

Attached Files:

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

They appear that way to me too Brian and I look at live ones every day in my fish tanks.

Maybe Frank can elaborate more?

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Really Frank, I must have x-ray eyes then, because in a tank they still look transparent under water, to me. Could it be that in a larger body of water such as a lake or river, the light is reflected more so and doesn't have the intensity to shine through the fins. If this is true, I would venture to say that, if we painted those fins opaque, most would argue that we did it wrong.

10. Brian W

underwater pic (albeit not a very good one).......shows the transparency....

Attached Files:

11. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Frank is right .
    Those fins are just very thin. "If" you make them thin enough, you can paint them and get the effect your looking for.

12. Brian W

Certainy not in Frank or Brian's league but, Brian, what is the effect we should be looking for? I need to get my eyes checked I guess.......appreciate the input as I'm always striving to do a better job of what God has created. Maybe I'm not on the right thought pattern?.....

13. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Imo if you can see through something it is transparent.

14. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Lol Brian
    I'm learning just like everyone else
    The fin is very thin but the colors you lay down shouldn't be transparent. If you use transparent colors you will have a hard time getting them to look correct.
    Take your time and paint them and your results will be better.
    I took some hits for trying the transparent thing on show pieces in the past

15. Brian W

Gulp......you got hit for transparent fins?.......Ok Brian....we need to talk...lol......... Now I'm confused and concerned I'm getting it wrong in mine or a judge's eye......just painting what I see from reference (those damn Lazik doctors anyway.... ;D).....maybe shoot you a PM sometime or you or Frank can post an example?? Just want to keep learning or tweaking my ability..........and believe me, I take my time.....ha (wife is very irritated with the amount of time I spend on fish lately if you know what I mean..) Frank, can you add to this conversation some more?

16. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

To put it simply, the color on the fins is not actually transparent. That is, if the fins were thicker, you would not be able to see through the color of the fin. However, because the fins are so thin, light has an easier time passing thru the membrane and webbing and washing out the opaque color of the fin. I think both sides are trying to get the correct "definition" of what is actually there. As the pictures show, you can see thru the fins, but what the two world champions are saying is the paint used to get this look not need be transparent. Just apply it so lightly to get the look of the underwater fins. I think this is how I have digested this information from competing also. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. :-X

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes, come on competitors and judges alike lets hear it. I don't spend any time under water studying fish but I sure look them over good, when I catch them or while I am checking them in or prior to skinning them and pretty much all of the pec. fins are transparent.
    Brian, in your comment about painting them with transparent colors not being accurate, would you please elaborate? I don't paint them with transparent colors but instead with light washes of opaque colors, thin enough to let light through them. Is this what you are referring to?

18. Brian W

Really, whats the difference between LIGHT mists of opaque color vrs a trans color if the end result looks like the reference? I have used Golden Yellow lightly with the same results. Isnt the word transparent just telling you it's "not gonna let you overpaint, not on my watch"....lol. I use a lot of different methods to get my results but I also study my reference pictures before, during and after I paint............angle sprays, charcoal, 20ft mist sprays with a 2mph east wind, you name it, I tried it......lol. Still learning though......

19. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Ken, are you saying in that picture that Brian posted of a bluegill, that you cannot see the scales and their detail pretty darn clear? I can. If we were discussing the difference in the definition of transparent and translucent fine, but aren't we discussing fins here. If I misused a word in my post, I apologize, but I am a taxidermist not an English professor.