1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Detail?? Pins?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 8Point, Mar 18, 2015.

1. 8Point

8Point Member

I use Pro 1 hide paste but still use pins to hold detail. I have been sinking pins along detail but have been noticing that as the skin dries the skin looks rippled where I have the detail pinned because the hide is tight ginst form where pin is but is slightly pulled from form in between pins which gives it a rippled look. Am I going about this wrong? Hope I explained myself correctly..... I have used strips to pin against but then it seems like it restricts air flow.....

2. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

get rid of the pins, you dont need them. if you prepped the form the paste will do its job. my gut tells me everywhere you put a pin you have pushed the paste out from under the skin at those points making indents and creating ripples.

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

There are times and areas that I still like to card, so I use bird neck material and pin that. Takes care of the dimples. This is not needed very often though.

4. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

May also be too large of a form.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you are stretching the cape on to the form, you are not going to get away from drumming. IF you have slack skin, IF you have a properly thinned and preserved cape, IF you have properly removed the mold release from the mannikin, and IF you use good hide paste, you will rarely need any pins. I will leave any pins that I use in for two or three days and then remove them and press in the detail over the next three or four days as it dries.

6. 8Point

8Point Member

Got it.... All this advice makes all the sense in the world. I figured I'd get some good feedback on this one. Thanks again!!!!!

7. hank

hank WHAT , ME WORRY ?

PA.
    You might be pushing the pins in too far. This will cause the head of the pin to draw the skin down around it. This will create a small indention around the head of each pin which will show when it dries,especially on short hair capes. The area between your pins might not be pulling away it just looks that way. You should not need a lot of pins like the others said but if you do just push them in flush with the top of the skin,not past making a dent in the skin.