1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Form size at the wall plate

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mick, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Mick

Mick New Member

I am mounting on a Ben Mears "Fighting Buck" form. The cape, and I have tried 2 capes, will not fit at the shoulder area of the form where it mounts to the wall. I lack about 1 1/2". I have sanded all that I can without loosing definition and am pretty much down to the rear plate on the back. My question is..."are all forms close to the same size at the wall plate? I have stretched, sanded, and pulled all that i can. everything else fits fine. If i ordered the next size smaller in the same pose, would that dimension change? I am not a pro by any means (this is the 6th deer I have done), But all my others have turned out really nice. I'm open to all suggestions.

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Taxi the skin toward the head. This will give you more girth in the area you need it.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Do you mean your cape is short 1 1/2 inches or tight at the base of the form?

4. Mick

Mick New Member

The cape is not short, just not enough girth in the cape to meet at the seam. I can taxi it forward but it seams like it will then have too much hide left in the neck area. I talked to Perry at McKenzie and he said to move it forward also. I will try it again, however I think there is just too much cape in between there and the ears left that will "bunch up". I was just curious if this was common with that style of form with the sharp turn in the neck area, as I have never had an issue with upright and sneak positions.

5. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Are you trying to fit it to the form dry, if you are mount it up and sew by taxiing forward. Once sewed pull it back to where it needs to be, it will slide easier with hide paste on the form. It should fit.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Pre sew the cape leaving a short cut. Its so much easier to fit a sewn up or short incision cape over a form. If the cape fits on the neck it will surely fit at the brisket, that's where I have to much hide, have to make the arm pits deeper on a lot of forms to get the shoulder points where they are suppose to go. Yes, the cape will bunch up on the turn side.

7. Mick

Mick New Member

Thanks everyone. I will try it again

8. You ever think about using a short Y or T cut, those long seams suck~!!! Per sewing is the way to go.

Jim

9. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Short y cut is the way to go I think. Used to split all the way back and tried the short y incision and have done it ever since. I haven't presewn before but wouldn't that basically be the same as the short y incision?