1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanning deer capes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by efpdmahurin, Mar 18, 2015.

1. efpdmahurin

efpdmahurin New Member

How many deer capes will a gallon of mckenzie tan do. Trying to see if it's cheaper to send to tannery or do it myself.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

All depends on how much time you spend tanning them. Between the salting, rehydrating, pickle, shaving, neutralizing, tanning, drying, cost of salt, acid and tanning agent, you also need a round wheel to get a nice thin, even shaved cape, adds up. How many capes will a gallon tan, all depends how much you put on a cape, 12-15-20 maybe? Approximately $50.00 a cape commercially tanned with shipping added, that's less then 2 hours of my shop time.

3. I have been wrestling with this decision myself. For now I have decided to use Krowtann it cuts out the salting step and gives a pretty good stretch when finished. But this coming season I think I will be sending most of my stuff out to be tanned commercially. I just don't have the time to do it and it is also my least favorite part of the process so its a win win in my opinion.

4. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

You will still need to turn lips, eyes, and ears, and do all detail fleshing. To me, that is the most time consuming part of tanning when using krowtan. Not to mention most reputable tanneries have a few month turn around at best. I'll spend the extra hour it takes to flesh rather than wait for a cape. Oh, and at least I know I have the customers original cape when I tan. JMO.

I will say that I have gone the tannery route and have been very disapointed in the quality vs that of which i get from krowtan. I can also handle my current volume tanning myself.

Best Kevin

5. Kevin just said it all as far as I am concerned!! I have my deer back to the customer before tanneries could get the capes back to me (according to their delivery time estimates). I do use "liquatan" not "krowtan"

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Home tanning is fine if you can handle the work load coming in. I started out home tanning, part time business, doing 10-20 deer and a few lifesize, now its 80-100 deer plus all the other animals, birds, fish, no time left for tanning or the space needed for gallons of pickle.

7. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

KFLAH.....how can you not get your own capes back from the tannery? You should have them numbered with the customers number on the corner of the cape, and it should match the number on the work sheet. Do you really think a tannery has the time or interest in swapping your cape for another. Get real !!!

8. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

JL, not saying I have had this issue personally...I have just heard others complain/accuse tanneries of mixing up capes. I have, however, had issues with stretch from tanneries. Never had any issues with krowtan.

Best, Kevin

9. TomR

TomR New Member

You can't go wrong with Krowtann Whitetail Formula. Works flawlessly, as long as you follow the directions exactly. No need to babysit the Ph and tans well.

10. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Tanning at home sucks but I still do it. It does take a lot of time though when I could be doing other things.