1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would you do if...

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by akvz, Mar 18, 2015.

1. akvz

akvz New Member

... UPS delivered your 20" raw bear skull to the dumpster after it traveled all the way across the country already? I'm torn between calling them up, outraged, acting like it was a dead relative they tossed out for "smelling bad," and dumpster diving. It got within 30 minutes of me and they just threw it out once it got here because they refused to deliver it! I didn't even get a call from them or anything.

The main reason I'm NOT in a UPS dumpster right now is the fact that I'm trying to convince myself the damage that tore the box open and caused it to "smell bad" also must have damaged the skull... or the paperwork with it to make it legal.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Call and raise hell. Tell them you are coming to retrieve the package and then get there ASAP. Mater of fact .. go there now and see if you can get to it, and then raise hell with them anyway. Box is unlikely to be damaged. It thawed out and started to stink. I warn my PO that something may arrive that might smell and tell them to either deliver it or put it outside, out back and notify me and I'll come and get it.

I also have my shippers occasionally write in BIG letters on the outside of the box. "PERISHABLE SPECIMEN" "MUST BE DELIVERED".

3. akvz

akvz New Member

They discarded it by the time I had called... 45 minutes after calling the shipper! I would not have even been able to get up there by the time they had tossed it. Now it's a bit late to head up there, but I may go there in the morning to get my package, if it's still in the dumpster.

4. Sea Wolf

I would have gone immediately. You don't know what days they have trash removal and those trucks show up very early. Hope it's still there.

5. AH7

AH7 New Member

The person who sent it to you screwed up also! Have you been in contact with him/her?

6. akvz

akvz New Member

Well... I went by this morning to try and find it. They wouldn't let me go through the trash and told me the package was gone... and if I tried to get into the dumpster they would have called someone on me for trespassing. I felt like telling them if they hadn't THROWN OUT my package without even talking to me, it wouldn't be an issue!

I understand it's probably a liability issue and why, legally, it wouldn't be allowed... but still. Not sure if I really want to use UPS again after this.

I haven't been in contact with the seller since it was tossed, but I have sent a message their way. They have a good standing on here so I don't want to be quick to blame them; mistakes happen and I think the fault is more on UPS than on the seller at this point. Of course, that might change if I end up without money OR bear skulls.

7. AH7

AH7 New Member

Did you have the seller ship the way that he/she wanted to ship, or try to save on shipping? If they sent it their way, then their way stinks (literally and metaphorically), and that is at least partially their fault - if not completely their fault. Most of us on here spend a lot of time shipping perishable items, things do go bad, but there are still methods to help reduce that likelihood.

8. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Whatever delays there may have been the skull should have been contained in at least one strong plastic bag. Some of my good shippers will even put deodorizer somewhere in the package to mask the smell of death.

Smell alone usually does not stop them from delivering the package. The shear audacity to throw something out that they have no idea of the value be it sentimental or actual value without giving you the opportunity to retrieve it yourself from their facility demands a phone call to corporate- they need to know what the satellite offices are doing! I had an issue and I called corporate - ripped some new holes ...problem solved. Just be professional.

9. Sea Wolf

It is a shame at the loss. To be honest, wait until the PO is closed and go back. Asking them permission to look is of course going to be denied. You look for your property without their permission. It is, after all, yours. Wait until the place is dark and no one there and get a flashlight and go back and look. Just be discreet. I doubt a PO has a lot of trash so it shouldn't be too hard to find if it's there. I'd bring a step ladder and maybe a rake just in case you can't quite reach.

10. akvz

akvz New Member

I can't believe you're pressuring me to a life of crime... ;)

The trash services would have collected it by now, so now all I can do is hope that the seller has another bear skull and that calling corporate on the UPS facility will get SOMETHING done.... even if it's too late for my bear, I'd settle for just knowing that the people who threw it out got their asses chewed out. I'm not normally someone who believes in vengeance helping or anything, and I try to be sympathetic and understand that it wasn't this facility's fault that the delivery was taking twice as long as it should have and they shouldn't have to deal with the smell... but it would make me feel better, not going to lie.

I'm not sure how the item was packaged. I've had vacuum sealed and well-packaged items be delivered stinking because of post office error/mishandling; I had 2 wolves and a wolverine come to me with plastic cling wrap all over the package and a MASSIVE bloodstain from where they had apparently ripped open the box or something. The items were well packaged initially, but you can only do so much to prevent handling errors.

11. Sea Wolf

At least raise hell with the powers that be. It was not up to them to determine that it be thrown away without your refusal to accept it and it seems that you were not offered that.

12. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

So what ended up happening?

Did you get the skulls back, were they replaced, or did you get a refund?

13. akvz

akvz New Member

I got two replacement skulls sent to me. The other bear skull wasn't as large as the other one but it's still a good size at around 11x7., a little over that

14. Mickey

Mickey Member

You should also find out how the seller paid for the shipping. I recently shipped a very old moose head to myself via UPS and when it arrived (a day late) the box was busted open and the tips of the antlers were chipped. I filed a claim for the $100 insurance and as soon as I receive it I am also issuing a chargeback through my credit card company to get a full refund for the shipping cost. It doesn't help the fact that this 70-year-old taxidermy piece is damaged, but at least I got my money back for the shipping cost plus insurance.

Long story short, if they bought insurance then cash in on it, and if they paid with a CC then have them get their money back.