1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Decrease size of bobcat head on form

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bigrig737, Mar 19, 2015.

1. bigrig737

bigrig737 New Member

I recently got a bobcat kitten id like to mount. It's eye to nose is 1 inch so it's pretty tiny. I don't have the skull. How would I go about modifying the head to make it smaller. Where should I cut ? I tried to research this with no luck.

2. Search on here for Daniel M. Go to his profile and click on "Show Posts". He has posted tons of pics of form alterations, both increasing and decreasing in size. Look through his pics and you are sure to get some ideas on how to do what you are planning. When you see what he does, it will make your project seem pretty easy! Hope it will help!

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There are several companies that offer bobcat kittens that are close to, if not the measurement, you are looking for.

4. bigrig737

bigrig737 New Member

Tanglewood what companies? I've tried mckensie, vandyke, research and Jonas and I would still need to decrease the head Thanks

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you go to the upper right corner of this page and click on suppliers, you will see that there are a lot more suppliers than the ones you mentioned. Having said that, I was wrong about several suppliers having small forms around 1". A quick search turned up this. There is one that had a 3/4" that is no longer in business, they have disappeared since I last visited it. There is another that had one 3/4" or maybe one inch that no longer carries it. There are several that carry a 1 1/4" now and one, Touchtone, that still carries one that is 3/4" eye to nose. Sorry, Looks like you might have to alter one after all.

6. adkgirl

adkgirl Active Member

The hardest part about decreasing the size is keeping it true to form (excuse the pun). I just recently bought a cat form from a company and the head was HUGE and shaped completely wrong! Normally I have to enlarge a cat head. The cat was very big. The largest female I ever saw. But I had the skull. So, shaving and a bit of carving brought it to the measurements I needed. It is scary to do it the first time, but you will figure it out and get into it. Good luck.

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've often wondered why they don't offer smaller change out heads. Most of the change out heads seem larger. Many of the bobcats here are 1 1/2" x 15-16 x 30isih. Most forms start at 2" eye to nose.

8. suzzie34

suzzie34 New Member

I thought it was me, ive done 2 bobcats and both heads had to be shaved, quite a bit actually. the rest of the boby was fine. I could just look at the form and see the head was to big, keeping the shape was tricky for sure.

suzzie34

9. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Depends where you live and where the moldmaker lives I think. Same with deer. Habitat and food vary across the country, as do the size of an animal. Wouldn't think it would vary that much with bobcats though.