1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mount - Tear me a new one

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by smitty0810, Mar 20, 2015.

1. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

This is my first mount, I know its easier for you guys to judge without the carding etc. But I figure being my first your criticism at this point would give me time to make adjustments. I have thick skin unlike this bird so tell me everything.

One thing I know I messed up, I cut some quills too low on the neck at the ring so the feathers are a little sparse there. The neck I used was 3/8" foam with some braided yarn wrapped around it as well as a trachea hot glued on with the yarn, then all wrapped in electrical tape. Point being I may, have made the neck too tight, although I am happy for the most part with its appearance. The other thing I will do differently next time.. the feet. I decided to wait until the bird was on the mount to try and inject masters blend, well it didn't work too good because the feet are just too hard now and bent my needles (3cc syringe) and with the tail there its too hard to work on, just as the painting of the feet will be I am sure.

Attached Files:

2. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Another angle.. sort of.

Attached Files:

3. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

The neck where I lost some feathers

Attached Files:

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

right off the bat, the neck is to long and the head tilt is a little to much

5. maj1969

maj1969 New Member

MO
    X2 on neck and head angle. those are the biggest issues, overall looks great for your first bird. You can soften up the feet and still inject them. If can dangle them into some soapy water for a few hours they should soften enough to get needle in and inject some soapy water in. Then wrap them in wet cloth and plastic for a while and you should be able to inject with master blend, which has a learning curve of its own so you might want go ahead with that too.

6. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

well good thing I made a few final cuts on the neck to make it shorter than it already was. Thats the one look I didnt want (a long neck) I have seen that on a few other mounts and it it rough looking. I guess that explains why the band was so wide and also why the mouth and eyes were so hard to get pulled into position.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

When u say "final cuts on the neck" Are you cutting the neck material shorter or the actual skin? Either way don't. First the necking material should be the same length as the actual neck. Where you get rid of the long neck look is by making the neck into a "S" shape. Even when ducks are flying their necks have a "S" curve to them. Then you taxi the skin up toward the head. Overall that is an excellent job for a first.

8. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

X2

9. nate

nate Active Member

X3on what wildthings said. You need to get that "S" is in the neck. It may take a few tries to get the "look" that you're after so use annealed wire. Then taxi that skin forward a bit and groom it so the wrinkles are out it. You may need a little clay or epoxie sculpt on the head juncture and blend it back onto the neck so it doesn't look so much like a golf ball in there. Remember to use reference. if you got a picture of the pose that your looking for, put it up next to your mount to see what you have to change. to make it right. Keep at it, you'll get it. Overall, nice bird! especially for your first!

10. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Good deal thanks the input guys. I see what you mean about that S shape. I was really starting to wonder how to get the neck length to look right but still keep the length original. I actually used the hot glue around the back of the head to try and make that transition smoother but I will add clay for sure next time, (apoxie sculpt if I can find it in stock ever).

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

when you slide skin onto neck tie a string onto head end and when neck is all the way in tie on a 1/4 or 3/ inch piece of neck foam or cotton rope and pull up to head...this creats a windpipe..... cross section of neck is more a figure 8 than round

12. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Do you mean like a trachea? I added a length of yarn using hot glue that I felt was about the exact size of the trachea when I was forming the next. That gave the neck that figure eight. the problem was I also added that yarn over the entire neck (spun around the neck before adding trachea) so I had to add electrical tape around the whole thing so the skin could slide up the neck. I think next time I will go even shorter with the neck and I will also try and taxi the chest area skin up higher. Likewise next time if the skin doesn't easily reach the bill I think I will know something is up and more than likely its the neck length.

13. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

I wish my first bird looked thar good. One thing you should lrearn from this is, "You don't get a nice full neck by making the neck material bigger. The bigger you make it the tighter and more pencel neck your bird will be."

14. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Finaz would it be possible you are the Tony Finazzo who's dvd has learned me the ways? If so, that's pretty cool haha.

As for the neck, what you said is exactly what I have read and heard before, might have even said it in that dvd (mounting a flying puddle duck)

15. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

This is my second bird I got mounted last night. Still need to add some tape to the wings and tidy up some areas. I used wire in the wings which I think was fine for the wing the bird is supposed to be preening but I don't think I should have on the other side. I meant to use floral wire from the end of the wing bone and use a needle and anchor it through the body. I think it looks alright though the way it turned out. Either way, I went with a neck foam just undersized from the original body neck reference and was able to just taxi the skin up and it looks much better that way. May be too long though, not really sure. Ill probably post some pictures of it when its all finished up for some more critiquing.

Attached Files:

16. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Bump for critique on second duck...??

17. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

My ducks still don't look much better than that. Another thing I notice is the wing posture. You have the bird basically in what I describe as a "pitching in" pose. Your wings are flat and such a bird would have a bubble of air under them. By cupping the wings slightly, you give it that appearance.

19. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Thanks guys, George, I know what you mean, I believe I got a little cup in them its just hard to tell from the angle I think. Either way I certainly tried to do so by bending some wire and pushing those secondaries up a little to form a cup. I think it could probably use a little more action though.

20. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Yes Smitty this is Tony Finazzo. I meant what I said Your first bird looks pretty good. The thing that I see in your Spoony is you could use more reference in your painting. I couldn't see enough of your second bird to comment much about it. Not that it's wrong, but I'm not a big fan off putting the wings in that position. I don't think it shows the bird off as well as other positions. Keep it up and keep advancing. Just from what I can see your leg and foot placement is off.