1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Big Fish Exhibit

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fishmaster, Mar 20, 2015.

1. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Thought all the fish guys might enjoy this clip. This is a project for a traveling exhibit with National Geographic that was done by Staab studios. I'm lucky it they are only a few miles from me so I was able to see all of these from beginning to end. You might recognize that Jeff Compton is one of the key guys there. A talented crew for sure.

http://events.nationalgeographic.com/exhibits/2015/03/26/monster-fish-search-last-river-giants/#.VQqPK9W1wwM.facebook

2. That is super, super cool... I feel wholly inadequate at this moment. Sculpting those fish must have required a good deal of time. With being as close as you are, do you have any clue as to the timeline on a project of such magnitude?!

3. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

That stretched out over a year's time or a little more but they have to build in extra time because things require approval by scientists/biologists before proceeding to the next stage. The airapima (sp ???) had about a million scales. Fun stuff.

4. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I was fortunate enough to see these in person in various stages. Unreal talents. AMAZING!

5. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

That's crazy, I bet it took hour upon hour, months to do all of that detail. And I bet if someone like a museum were buying those things they would cost thousands of dollars

6. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

"Old Dead River" needs to get in touch with these dudes...
    That is WHERE IT'S AT!

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

For those of us that are techtards what do I click on at the link to see pics of the work?

8. would love to see the exhibit in person...will have to check into where its traveling.
    I was fortunate enough to have Mr Jeff Compton as my fish instructor.
    very very talented guy..

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Where is the picture or video link?!

10. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

Holy mackerel! That's a lot of work!

11. torka

torka Member

Cecil, I right clicked on the Nat. Geo. link in the first posting. Clicked open. Than when it opened I scrolled down to the video and clicked on the play arrow. Hope this helps !!

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks!

13. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Wholly cool!

14. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Wow, unbelievable talent

15. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Very cool, thanks for posting.

16. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

That is awesome!

17. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Got to see this in person. Went out of my way to do so, and it was well worth it. Highly recommended.

I think one of the fish-makers was there, from a conversation I overheard. Never had the courage to ask; the security guy was eyeballing me, probably as I was inspecting the fish differently than everyone else. I didn't know that you could get such giant flex eyes.

All the fish were great, but I really liked the flow they put into the giant barb.

Great job guys.

Best, Scott