1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Some Alaskan stuff (IMAGE HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by akvz, Mar 21, 2015.

1. akvz

akvz New Member

[​IMG]

3 wolves (unsure of sex)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

... and 3 wolverines (2M 1F) from Alaska. Ideally, should have 3 martens here with them, but I've still got to piece the teeth back in on them and haven't had the time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Largest wolf (17 2/16) and largest wolverine (11 4/16)... the wolverine is almost as wide as some of my wolves!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    11 1/16 long and 6 1/16 wide... pretty big puppy! A lot of teeth are very worn on him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a subadult wolf (canines still had a huge hole at the root and sutures are quite loose) but it's about 11" long... would have been interesting to see how massive it would have been. Missing 2 teeth naturally and had a healing break on the zygomatic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not a huge wolf (about 10x5) but pretty nice. Would have been a perfect specimen, but the guy who removed the skull sawed through the condyles at the back of the skull by about a quarter inch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Perfect little girl wolverine. Only 5.75" long and about 18 pounds, was probably fairly young. Good teeth, crooked nasals, accessory intraorbital foramen on her left. Honestly about the same size as a moderately sized raccoon, but the teeth are still something to appreciate!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rugged old guy... 32 pounds. Trapper said he was missing one eye (the right), a toe, and his tail... and that half of his face was all torn up when he got him. No trap damage-- all the chipping and broken incisors are just from his lived life! There's a lot of texture on the right half of the skull, didn't quite turn out for picture day but I'm sure it's the torn up side. I love how his upper incisors make a slant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This guy was 38 pounds, but he had a MASSIVE head. Not sure what caused his left upper canine to be that screwed up; it's firmly stuck in there and the entire socket was pushed upward. Somehow I didn't notice it while initially fleshing the skull, even though it's quite obvious! There's a few deeply embedded marks in the bone, perhaps from fighting during life. I did not whiten this skull and left it the natural bone colour.

2. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Really good pictures - thanks for showing us. Nice that you have the back stories you do about them. Don't forget to document it somehow. It's amazing how fast one forgets what skull has what story.

3. blindluck

blindluck Member

Thanks for sharing, been looking forward to this post. great work.