1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Odd Mallard

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Cripplecreek, Mar 21, 2015.

1. I know a lot of these posts get started, but I'm going to add one more. This mallard was shot in mid-January in Arkansas. I've seen people on here reference hens with hormone issues that take on drake characteristics. Is this what this is? It's a small bird and really didn't have many pinfeathers except up the neck it had very small ones on the inside like a hen seems to get this time of year. Breast and area between shoulders seems to look like a hen. The tail has a few spots like a hen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    That one iwould venture to say is a trans-duck not a hormonal hen.

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

look at those accents on the joints of each toe!!! Could it be a hybrid that's just showing more mallard characteristics??

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Good eye alan

5. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I shot a drake mallard on the last Saturday of the season in January it was very small had a lot of black spots on the breast like this one ,the white and black spotted area extended way up the throat clear to the lower mandible the speculum was greenish cast ,feet very small ,more woodduck sized and it had a ''ponytail'' mohawk crest of dark cinnamon redbrown,the bill was much shorter than normal and mostly black. I'm guessing greenwing mallard hybrid [for mine] this one I don't know.

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I think it looks like a first-year drake that had some sort of accident when it was young. If that happened then it would have immediately stopped molting during the time while it was healing. (Feathers that had already started growing would finish, but no new ones would be lost.)
    If the days had become noticeably short by the time it finished getting well then that would be enough to postpone the rest of the molt until the next year.

Old hens that are losing their hormones look similar, but there are some subtle differences. One thing to look for to help identify aging hens is weird blended-looking feathers that are neither male nor female colored, especially if the entire feather is like that.
    That bird seems to have either/or male or female feathers, and that usually means that the molt was suddenly interrupted.

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

it also looks like a young drake to me