1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Washing large birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Mar 22, 2015.

1. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

After tearing the crap out of the Canada I did last year, I came up with this. You can easily flip the bird around while it's in the water and it eliminates having to pick up a soaking wet bird.

[​IMG]

I drilled holes in the bottom of a tote.

Then I got a tote a little bigger and set the one with the holes in it.

[​IMG]

You can wash, then lift out the tote with the holes and let the bird drain. You can rinse while it's in the holey tote too. Then just dump the big tote and repeat. Once you're done rinsing you can squeeze most of the water out of the bird before lifting it.

2. Just to give you a little tip always pick up birds out of sink or whatever you using by the last 5 or 6 primary feathers end of the wings both wings and I promise you, you will never tear another bird good luck

3. 689

689 Well-Known Member

The tub worked great Brooke...:D...

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Jason, I've never heard that. ..but It sounds like it would work! Thank you! I'll definitely try it. It won't rip at the tail?

Being a girl.....I can't wrap my hands around the bigger birds to wring them well...especially while trying to keep the weight off the parts prone to tearing. So being able to wring them in sections while laying in the tub works well for me.

Cindy..;D

5. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Good work,thats thinking out of the box

6. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

great idea ,I've picked up turkeys by the primaries and even gave them a ''snap'' to fling water out. BUT geese I don't think I would try that.