1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Injection Comparisons

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kaiada, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

I have been doing a lot of research on this forum and elsewhere on injecting bird feet. I'm not going to ask how to do it or what method is best, I know I'll get many answers. I do have a few very specific questions though I haven't found the answers to--

Is the only difference between Fantasti-cast and Masters Blend the set time?
    Both are just fillers if I read right, so isn't a preservative necessary? Would DA/Preservz-it/Balmex work before using the filler?

The other technique I've heard of is a Formaldehyde and Glycerin mix, with the 'hyde as a preservative and the glycerin as filler. I have heard of some using DA as a 'hyde substitute, but is that really powerful enough? Has anyone tried using either balmex or preservz-it instead?

Do any of these methods discolor the feet? I understand that color will be lost, but do any make the feet turn an unnatural color?

One last thing--I have a chicken I want to mount, and I know they have fatty feet. I would prefer not to skin them out or cut into the toes unless it is completely necessary. I have read that using masters blend won't work, but will the glycerin mix? Has anybody actually injected chicken feet with success? I know turkey feet are bigger, does the fat not take to any preservatives?

I do plan on trying both the hardening filler and a glycerin mix, just trying to find out which of each to try.

Thanks for all your help.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Fantasic-cast is supposed to be a preservative also. It's what I use, but I'm going to go to Masters Blend when I run out. The set time, it seems, is about 4 to 8 hours when it is out side of the foot and about two or more days in the foot. If you don't plug the injection holes with a T pin, you will have Fantastic-cast hardened all over the feet and table. Trying to pry "glued" feet from the base is not fun. The feet will be pliable for about two to three weeks. This is my experience and I may be doing it wrong, and I don't do alot of birds, so take this for what it is worth, just someones experience with it.

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

the only thing I can add is my experience with 2 part injecting fluid was not very nice it hardened in the bottle[1 part] before I could use it all ,most was wasted.So I went to something else that works great for me ,as far as discolorization ,,don't worry they have to be painted anyway.

4. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    You need to be quick with the master blend, don't expect to mix it separately then put it in your Syringe As it will harder and clog up the needle. What has worked for me is I get 2 separate tin cups and pour just enough of A in one and B in the other. Take my syringe with the needle already attached and pull equal amounts of both A AND B into the syringe and then inject. But u have to do it quick

5. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Just buy birdfeet injection fluid. Think knoblochs makes it. bought a bottle years ago and still have it.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

I use Maters Blend and love the results with it. Now I will give you some sound advice on using it successfully. One, keep both parts on the fridge until you use them, then put them back and store them in the fridge. Two, when you mix, use one syringe. Take the syringe, draw up part A, wipe the needle, then draw up part B, turn the syringe up and down a few times, then inject. As with any injectables, WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES, and gloves for that matter.

7. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Masters blend here for birds but I use formaldehyde and glycerine for turkeys. Use small needles and as suggested , work quickly. If you are not used to it try mixing smaller batches at a time. Clean out the syring with lacquer thinner between uses. As for preservatives, I am spraying the feet with a insecticide with pyrethrum in it and letting it dry before sealing them.then painting. I have birds that are 20 plus years old that show no bug damage at all without preservative but I do use bug bombs often in the entire showroom. Lots of great advice here, try different things and find what works best for you.

8. While I do not mount many birds, I have used Master Blend and separate cups for each part, that is how it was introduced years ago. I also never store it in the shop fridge. The only reason I can think of for this is to slow setting time. I purchased a kit from Research back in 2000 I think it was and finally used all of it last year, thats 15 years of shelf life.