1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pin Feathers - How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by smitty0810, Mar 23, 2015.

1. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

I see where guys turn away birds that are full of pin feathers but after skinning out an early season shoveler last night it got me to thinking. How many is too many? 5? 10? 20? 30? Whats your limit on pin feathers in a regular sized duck?

2. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I had a cackler with solid pinfeathers. Still looked decent. [​IMG]

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

[​IMG]

4. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

That one reminds me of the Shoveler I am just skinned out. It has those tiny little pin feathers all over it. Probably 10-20 of the bigger pin feathers but its mostly full of those really small ones that almost look like 1/8" long pieces of black thread on inside of the skin (while wet). I have the bird completely dried at this point, still havent decided if I should proceed with mounting it. As my second bird since I have gone this far I might just do it for the practice since I haven't done a standing mount yet and see how it turns out.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I get concerned when they are tail or flight feathers. You can't hide those if they fall out.

6. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

That did turn out decent for what u had, but you don't get that nice smooth breast, with the pin feathers do u?.

7. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Nope no matter how hard you try grooming the breast never will look smooth as you can see from my pic.