1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Open Mouth tutorial/video?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bucksmith, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Bucksmith

Bucksmith Member

Hey guys,

Been looking for a good video or tutorial with pictures on installing and mounting an open mouth whitetail that is up to date with current technology and practices.... Anyone have any suggestions? Ive done alot of shoulder mounts but have not gotten into open mouth whitetails yet and really want to do a special mount for myself and would like to do an open mouth...any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Dan Reinhard had a good one from casting to mounting and finishing an open mouth whitetail.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

You're going to have to do an in shop seminar with someone for that.

4. Cary Cochran sells a mouth cup. Other than cutting the form the accept it there's nothing to it. Very nice product.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Pretty easy to do but, I suggest having a skull with bottom jaw and plenty of reference at hand when you do. This shows you where the jaw hinges and how. Cut the bottom jaw off at or just behind hinge point and straight back at lip line. remove foam in both top and bottom to allow mouth cup to set where it should. Glue it in, I cut a slot around mouth to tuck lip skin into, do any interior apoxy work and paint. Re-attach bottom jaw, paying attention to anatomy, mount cape, tuck skin around jaw set or glue it around, let dry, blend lip skin to mouth cup with apoxy and paint to match reference.

6. impact

impact Member

Iowa
    Where can the mouth cup be purchased?

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Directly from Cary, I dont have his contact number and he does not sell them through a supplier. I did see this mouth cup at the Indiana show, He did a seminar using it in an Ohio Taxidermy Supply mannikin and it was pretty user friendly as far as installation goes.

8. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I have to agree with Jerry in this one. ... I've done Fox, coyote and bear. ... but never a full set in a deer. Going to see Vince Fleming in July for the casting and install