1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Water damage, can these capes be saved?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ameliamac, Mar 26, 2015.

1. ameliamac

ameliamac New Member

A friends basement flooded, unfortunately where his African showroom is. Nothing was submerged but most of his collection got wet, including lots of tanned capes that were going to be mounted. They moved them to a dry spot and put dehumidifiers on them. Does anyone have any advice for wet capes to help a friend out? Are they ruined or are there any tips to deterring damage or rot? I personally get all of my capes tanned out of house and am still very much a beginner so I'm not well versed in the technicalities of tanning. Thanks in advance.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Make sure you get a fan on them to dry them and then asap get them to a tannery and let them know what happened. Their the only ones that can or might be able to save them but like always no guarantees......

3. ameliamac

ameliamac New Member

Thank you for the response!

4. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Do you want to keep them dry tanned or eventually will you rehydrate for mounting? If there to mount I would rehydrate them according to tannery instructions and freeze.

5. ameliamac

ameliamac New Member

Thanks for the reply. They are to be mounted, so he sent them off to the tannery and hopefully they can be saved. Fortunately most of them seemed to avoid hair falling out or weakness in the leather.