1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Re hydrating a dry preserved elk cape

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bailey-outdoors, Mar 27, 2015.

1. bailey-outdoors

bailey-outdoors New Member

I have a customer bring me a elk shoulder mount to remount well repair he don't want to buy another cape . So it was dry preserved and slipped on the form no glue . Anyone have any experience with re hydrating a dp cape ? And do yall think I would have to put a tan on it before re mounting it ?
    Or just re hydrate remove apply glue and put cape back on ? It's about 10 years old .

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

lol a cape that old I won't want that task........... Your client is a cheap sob for not wanting to get a tanned elk cape to replace the first mistake and now your going to take the responsibility to try and hydrate an old skin. nope no way no how, Tell him no cause if you don't your going to pay for it.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I re mounted a bobcat that was over ten years old. It was dry preserved, no glue, and mounted all wrong on the form. I soaked it up with wet towels, removed the stitches, soaked it water with a little salt, fleshed and split and turned (which wasn't done when it was mounted), glued the form, applied DP and remounted it. The hide was like working with rubber. It had such a memory that mounting it on any other form would not have worked, and mounting on it's original form and moving it to where it was supposed to be only worked because I fleshed it. I can't imagine doing an elk cape.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Exactly the same experience I've had. It MUST be mounted on exactly the same form. Ever found an old shoe on your fishing line? Still looked like a shoe, didn't it. Same goes for an old DP hide. I did both an elk and a mountain goat this way. They're a PITA and I charged him the same price for it as I would have for mounting it fresh.

5. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

besides that YOUR name will be on it from now on regardless of condition of the skin before it came to you.

6. Some times we do things just for the challenge of it.
    This ain't one of those times.
    The aggravation is going to exceed the satisfaction.

7. ice

ice Active Member

Alaska
    Re-mounted a DP Mt. Goat. It had not even been completely fleshed. Horn cushions had not even been opened up; still full of meat. Didn't think it would hold up, but made my disclaimer to the customer; threw the whole thing in the bathtub. I was able to finish fleshing and, amazingly, re-mount on a much better form. Came out all right. Lots of combing. That hide was only a couple of years old, however.

8. bailey-outdoors

Thanks for your input guys ! I dove in head first . Soaked it down good with a hose wrapped in wet blanket and bagged ! Hair is already falling out and hide is so thin it's tearing ! Lol he is an easy going guy all is good . I seriously doubt it's gonna work

9. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Oh well glad you tried it and lesson learned. Just hope the client is willing to pay for a new cape now and doesn't hold you for any thing. Good luck.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

There are issues not in evidence here. I've done half a dozen remounts of DP junk that never had any issue other than skin memory and having to use the same form. The reason I smell a rat in the woodpile is the part where "Hair is already falling out and hide is so thin it's tearing". That just doesn't fit. DP is nothing more than a desiccant and if you salt your hides and let them dry hard, a DP hide is not one scintilla of a difference. The hide certainly wouldn't be falling apart. It sounds strongly like the hide was actually pickled and perhaps not neutralized properly, but your description sure doesn't fit any of my past experiences. BTW, I would hope that my remounts looked a damned sight better afterwards than when I got them. The customer thougth so as well.

11. bailey-outdoors

Lol George you are probably right but it definitely fell apart ! So anyone got a 12x31 elk cape ?