1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Leather Bound Bookbinding: Dog Book

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by LittleWolf, Mar 28, 2015.

1. LittleWolf

LittleWolf Member

Hi All,

As some of you might know, I also do fine bookbinding in leather using tradition methods and materials (some of the tools I use actually date back to the late 16th century!). Check out this rebinding of a typical 1970's era book about German Shepherd Dogs re-done in the style of a high-end 17th/18th century binding (see image linked below or read the full story at https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16927062736/). This is an original design I came up with when I was about 10-12 years old. This book has been appraised professionally; see the report here: http://www.instappraisal.com/appraisal/hand-bound-copy-complete-german-shepherd-dog

When I have some time, I'm also going to rebind a book about poultry in the same style (I have both a German Shepherd dog and a pet Plymouth Rock rooster).

[​IMG]

2. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

very nice work I read up on book binding ONCE a LOT of delicate work

3. Mickey

Mickey Member

Holy cow! This is beautiful!

4. LittleWolf

LittleWolf Member

Hey thanks for the comments. :) A lot of work went into just one volume; each stage (i.e. sewing, hand-wound headbands, paper marbling, gold foil tooling, &c.) is an art in itself and not very many people today appreciate what goes into making a single book.

5. Mickey

Mickey Member

I actually started art school as an undergrad and was majoring in printmaking and bookbinding. I got two years of training under my belt but we never made anything nearly this beautiful, just some coptic-stitch things and concertinas and a few perfect-bound books. I've experimented with other types of paper hardcovers on my own but never leather binding and now I want to try!

6. I have always had a fondness for leather binding, but never the desire to learn it. I admire your work!

7. LittleWolf

LittleWolf Member

Thanks for all the responses. It does take a while to learn, and lots of screw-ups to learn from in order to perfect! But in the end, if you like what see, it's worth the trouble.