1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy business name

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by huntingful, Mar 28, 2015.

1. huntingful

huntingful Prairie Ghost Artistry LLC

Just looking for opinions and expertise. Looking at starting my own business. Was wondering everyone's opinion on a business name. I researched a little and some people said my last name and taxidermy. I don't want it to sound to corny or dark. Thanks.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

A lot of people use their name, but if you were successful and ever wanted to sell your business or pass it on to another in some way, having the business associated with a name becomes an impediment.

3. huntingful

Thank you. I agree with you.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I wrote out a list of names that I liked and showed it around to family friends co workers, even people at the sporting goods store. One of those names was Tanglewood Taxidermy. I live about three miles from a wilderness area that is unofficially called Tanglewood. That name got the most votes. Then I registered it with the state, which I pay $25 a year to own it. I was surprised that Tanglewood was used for other non related businesses. The thing about Tanglewood is that it is an unofficial name and it goes with a hunting theme so I could sell the business and it would be good anywhere.

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

my last name is Taylor. every one kept telling me to go with Taylor made taxidermy. corny :eek: goofy :p or dumb :-[. it is what it is.

6. huntingful

Thanks guys.

7. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

and it is GREAT

good luck and have a lot of fun and success.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I disagree with MLP. I do not have my name associated with my business name, and I wish I did. Even today most of my clients do not know the name of my business, and if someone mentions Timberland Taxidermy to them they don't know it is me. Using your own name makes it easier for people to know who you are.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I added my name to my logo on my business cards and signs. Tanglewood Taxidermy in big letters and below in smaller letters, by Douglas Kitchin, Dallas Oregon. If I was to sell the company along with the name, my name can be removed because it isn't registered in with the business name.

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Here it costs money to assume a name but to use your name does not, when registering it with the state. It isn't a big deal to sell a company with your name, but if you do, you cannot use that exact name to start up another.

11. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thank you for the support. and I am having a whole lot of fun. my dad had his own business. if it was good enough for him, then its good enough for me. ;)

12. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to imply Name related business was necessarily a bad thing, as a matter of fact in this business, especially starting out, most all of your business will come by way of relationship. My comment was that the only negative to that is if you ever want to sell your business it makes it a little difficult. Other than that, I think using your name in some way is probably the best way to go. I like "Taylor Made Taxidermy" - very good!

13. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have a fishing guide service, many people know me from that, Jiggin Jim the the fishing guide. I started my taxidermy after having many clients mounting the trophy fish caught during my guide trips.
    I had always been good at art and willing think outside the box while fishing. After starting the taxidermy, some guys thought of taking fish to other taxidermist. I have decided to improve my fishing guide services by adding.
    Trophy fish (based on In-fisherman magazine) caught while on a guided trip with me, I would do them mount for free. Other fish clients want mounted during the trip would get a discount just for the fact they fished with me.

I may do a couple 30 inch walleyes for free, plus I get several mounts from the fishing trip. I also have guys returning that came up just short, looking to get that trophy.

14. tem

tem Well-Known Member

thanks MLP. if I ever sold it I hope there name would be Taylor. ;D but no planes on selling. not much to sale. ;)

15. Mickey

Mickey Member

I use my own name too - but I didn't always! I had a separate business name for the first two years of my business, and nobody knew it was mine, or they would get confused because they "thought my boyfriend ran the business" so using my own name has been great! It's something unique to me (as yours would be to you) and makes it easy for clients to remember.

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I picked the name of the city or county I lived in, and added "Wildlife Taxidermy" after that name. The good thing about having the city or county name is that anyone doing a search will automatically come across your name.

17. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

Only problem with picking a name with your city or county is if you decide to ever move.

18. I had my business in Michigan on Thunder Bay and named it Thunder Bay Taxidermy. When we moved south of Columbus Ohio we kept the name because of all of our national customers. A few locals have asked why its named what it is, but mostly its been a non-issue. Except for all the calls we get from Canada...

19. huntingful

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

20. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Lots of good ideas. Enjoy your Taxidermy experience.