1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hide paste

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by efpdmahurin, Mar 31, 2015.

1. efpdmahurin

efpdmahurin New Member

Hey guys I'm looking for a good hide paste receipt. I'm pretty new and can't see spending what they want for hide paste it's crazy. Any remarks or ideas will be greatly appreciated thanks

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Do a search on here and you will find several options. The clay based wall paper adhesives will be your best option. Use dextrin to thicken.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You get what you pay for in hide paste. Go to Sherwin-Williams and buy some Romans 555. You can use it straight out of the can. However, it's not cheap. I use Derma-Grip. The cost of hide paste is less than a dollar per shoulder mount, so it's not gonna break you to use a good one.

4. TomR

TomR New Member

I use McKenzie paste and find it to be economical. Plus it's water-based, smells good, and has insect protection. You can get 7-8 shoulder mounts out of a gallon, which works out to be pretty affordable.

5. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I bought a gallon on-line, it work good for fish, though it seems to thin for my feeling to use on deer. I also mix in the a 1/3 cup of dextrine to each cup of the paste. Not had a trouble with drumming, plus I like the thicker paste for wet tanned capes.

6. PASTE from McKenzie is what I use. It's a powder you add water to. I like it because I can make it as thick as I want, lasts a long time, and remember it being reasonably priced. It is what the school used and I haven't tried another brand since. I have used a little caulking in the past though when in a pinch.

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The dextrin based powdered hide paste dries like a rock which is fine for bodies and large life size pieces. I would stay with the Buckeye, McKenzie, Pro-1, etc.. for facial areas.

8. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I bought a gallon of polytranspar hide paste 4years ago, I mix in the dextrine to add extra adhesion, I am down to he less than quart of paste I think there is still enough for three capes.

9. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

I also like the Mckenzie paste on all my projects . I use it on everything I mount including fish. Has good tack and have not experienced drummimg . Its worth the money in my opinion.

10. JEJ

JEJ Member

PA
    IMO, Pro 1 is awesome and very economic. Haven't really paid attention to how many shoulder mounts I get from each bucket but would say 10 or so. For me it has the best characteristics for what I look for in a paste. Working time, consistency, tackiness, etc. love the stuff and will not change anytime soon. The money I "might" save making my own I probably save on time savings with allows.

11. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Joey, you can get 130 shoulder mounts done with 1 five gallon bucket of paste? Did I read this correct.

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

It's possible, but not probable. I buy two-4 gallon pails of Derma-Grip, and do around a hundred gameheads annually. My point in this discussion was that buying a premium hide paste is not going to break the bank.