1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taking measurements from a short y incision

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by the grey, Apr 3, 2015.

1. the grey

the grey Member

everything you find shows you how and where to take the measurements when the cape is fully opened with a long incision but how do you take decent measurements when it is short y. do I just measure across and add 1/2 or 1" because of the creases or not add any. also what stretcher works well for a short y? thanks

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Just double your measurements on a short Y. I take carcass and green cape measurements and after tanning. Stretcher I use are my arms, good tan needs nothing else

3. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

You can do what Paul said, or you can turn the cape inside out, stretch, and put a tape around the neck, behind the ears.

Kevin

4. Turn the cape inside-out so the hair is inside the tube-skinned cape. Put your arms inside and give it a light stretch. Lie it on its side, so either the left side or the right side is facing the ceiling. Line up your eye holes, ears, and the incision. Measure (tight to the ears) from the incision across to the front of the neck. Double your measurement. So, a 7.5" measurement here would be a 15" neck. Repeat about 3" down for additional measurements. Hope this helps.

5. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I lay the hide flat on the bench on top of my tape so everything lines up. I line my tape up where the B measurement should be then hold my tape on the incision on the table side running under the cape and out where the fold is, leaving the tape tight. Now holding the tape and the skin I will pull on the bottom of the cape where the cape folds and hold that spot on the tape. Then where the fold and your tape meet, hold that and pull/stretch the top side incision and run your tape up to it. Works good for me. Skin side out always. Always take your A from the carcass. You are though basically doubling the measurement of one side, just a different technique is all.

6. troy

troy Member

PA
    I take the hide and stretch it out all around. Then I fold it loosely together with the two sides aligned like you would be sewing it. Kind of folded in half so its on the right side or the left. keeping the edges of the incision together I just put a tape in from the "Y" until it hits the other side at the throat. (Where the jaw and neck meet.) I just double that number. Then I slide the tape down about 3" and double that measurement. Seems to work pretty well, for me anyways.