1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shop Safety

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ken D., Apr 4, 2015.

1. SAFETY MESSAGE: If you are grinding, sanding, shaving, cutting or doing anything of that nature, particularly with power tools, use eye protection! I am probably one of the biggest risk-takers you will ever know so when I share this with everyone else, Im speaking it into existence for myself as well...I am not a hypocrite. I get busy and I make mistakes sometimes. On Wednesday, I caught a piece of fiberglass in the eye while trimming fins on a large replica and though it is much better now, it could have been far worse. It never occurred to me that I was not wearing my eye protection...I thought I was smarter than that but I lost my situational awareness. This is the 3rd time since the early 90's that I have been impaled in the eye with a fragment of something flying through the air...only once was it completely random...the other two times I was working and not wearing eye protection. So I resolve to do better and make shop safety a priority in my profession and in my life. Wear your eye protection, a respirator, hearing protection and gloves and above all else, maintain your situational awareness on the job. Have a blessed Easter weekend!

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

So true ...........

I too wear eye protection when using power tools. I can't tell you how many times fragments have hit the goggles.

Wear 'em!

:)

Kerby...

3. X2, not fun having metal taken out of eyes!

4. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

I agree,LOL Had metal drilled out twice.

5. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

First time a sanding drum popped off my dremel and hit me between the the eyes I went out and bought safety glasses.

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Also had metal splinters dug out of the eye. Not fun. Much easier and cheaper to put some safety glass on!

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Hell, I once i snapped a scaple blade while skinning a Y incision and it hit me right on the check bone. Safety glasses now for most everything I do in shop. 2 inches higher and I probably would be wearing a patch like a pirate.

8. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Scary! I take risks on a lot of things but when it comes to my dremel and power tools, the safety glasses always go on. There's no dodging or seeing that stuff coming.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Like the number your fleshing machine did on your finger. The picture you posted all those years ago was the inspiration for me to purchase the fleshing gloves with steel woven in. I can still feel the ghost pain in my finger from that pic. Yuk!