1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Branden, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Branden

Branden Member

I'm mounting my first deer I've already tanned the hide. It is a young deer it only measures 13 inches can't find a form to fit.. What's my options

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

How did you measure?

3. Branden

Branden Member

I slit it all the way down the neck I measured it about 2 inches down from the ears

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Look in the fawn forms if you have to, but your best bet is to use a doe form and alter the head a bit.

5. John L

John L Active Member

Try a mckenzie 6500 65 - 6012 B measurement is 12 E to N is 6"

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Is the hide rehydrated, 13 seams small even for the smallest of deer. Hech, not even antelope are 13. I did a whitetail doe last year and she way 15 at neck.

7. Branden

Branden Member

That's what I thought when I measured it.. I guess I'll try to stretch it as much as possible..

8. stroh

stroh Member

WASCO has some small deer under the John rinrhart section. I get a couple deer from south fl each year that are 13 to 14 inches.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Research mannikins has a button buck that small.

10. is the cape thin not just fleshed thinned that will make a heck of a difference, you may gain a inch or so.
    Jim

11. Branden

Branden Member

No haven't thinned it just fleshed, salted, an used the Reinhardt tanning oil

12. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    George, telling a beginner he needs to alter a form is like telling a kid to do trigonmetry. Cmon man!

13. RonB

RonB Member

Ya George ::)
    Or like telling a taxidermist to spell trigonometry :eek:

14. George

Sadly those comments speak to far too many of you taxidermists. This ain't exactly rocket science you know? Too many of you are "snap together" taxidermists. I was a "beginner" in an era where you wired the bottom jaw on to the skull , screwed it to a 2x4, wrapped it in excelsior and twine, plastered the excelsior and rebuilt the head with clay. Now you're telling me a beginner can't understand that if he bought a doe form that fit his hide, he wouldnt be able to figure out that he'd need to wedge out the head of the manikin in order to put antlers on????? That's a pitiful endorsement of today's taxidermists. Thanks for letting me know. I apologize for thinking some of you are smarter than you sometimes sound.

15. Branden

Branden Member

I appreciate the advice mr george

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

My guess is that if it's shaved and tanned correctly, it will stretch out larger.

17. Look at a Coues deer form. I had to use them on these tiny Mt. Rushmore wt. Just a lttle altering here and there to give it more of a true wt look. (good reference pics)

18. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    You seriously think a guy who have NEVER mounted a deer in his life, should start with a doe form, wedge the head to fit, cut out and install wood to attach the rack, etc?? Oh yeah, this should go really well ::)

19. George

Brian, don't gauge the talents of another on those you,yourself possess. When I started, EVERY animal I mounted was a "first" and unless Scotty beamed you here from someplace else, so was yours. How do you think his "first" deer will look as compared to his "1000th"? I guess you're one of the first I need to apologize for.

20. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    Put your money on your mouth is ole George. I will send you a cape, doe form, small rack, etc. all paid for by me. With your decades of experience, if you can pull off this mount with proper anatomy (and I stress proper!) I'll give $500 to a charity of your choice. If it's wrong, you finally admit this was horrible advice for a guy who has never mounted anything and pay me back for the stuff I sent you.. Deal?